1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Corrupt Recycle Bin on External Drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by PatP3005, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PatP3005

PatP3005 Thread Starter

I've tried everything I can find about removing a corrupt recycle bin but it won't stay gone. I don't know if the fact that it is on my external drive makes a difference or not.

There are three hidden files that don't exist in the bin that are causing the problem. It comes up every night during the automatic backup.

I've renamed the recycle bin and then deleted it. I've told the prompt that 'yes' I wanted to empty it and gone through the song and dance of skipping the files it can't find, etc. I've gone to an elevated prompt and typed: RD/S pathname (RD/s F:\$RECYCLE.BIN). I've also typed RD/S /Q F:\$Recycle.bin from an elevated prompt.

All of these methods eventually allow me to delete the bin. But it always returns the next night. Any suggestions?

Running Win7Premium SP1.

THANKS!!! :)

2. gurutech

gurutech

Is System Restore enabled for that external drive? If so, try disabling it, then delete the recycle bin as you have already, and it should not return the next day.

3. PatP3005

PatP3005 Thread Starter

Ah. No it isn't but I see where you were headed with that. I was being misleading. The problem is presenting itself everyday, but they aren't the same hidden files each time. And of course I said three files because it has been three files - today it was only two! Curses inconsistencies!

4. gurutech

gurutech

Try a CHKDSK /F on your C: drive and your F: drive. This will scan for and fix any issues, other than "bad clusters", which it doesn't sound like you have (replace the /F with /R if you want to scan for the bad sectors also, but this will take much longer to run).

5. PatP3005

PatP3005 Thread Starter

I set the CHKDSK's for both drives then rebooted. The problem has been greeting me each morning after the backup runs during the night (incremental backup, explaining I think, the different files, but same types). No corrupt bin this morning! Tonight it will do a total backup. If there is no corrupt bin tomorrow morning I will officially bow and scrape at your feet.

Meantime, would you mind explaining to me what CHKDSK is finding and why this seems to have fixed the problem? Thanks.

6. gurutech

gurutech

CHKDSK basically scans your file system for errors. Errors can be caused by several different things, such as power outages, files not being written entirely to disk before the PC is powered off, or a failing hard drive.

It sounds like the $RECYCLE.BIN hidden folder kept reappearing because the OS couldn't replace the first character of the folder (the $), or the hidden files inside the folder, with a ? because the folder became corrupted in some way. Maybe you experienced a power outage while you were deleting files or something - hard to say really.

In any case, the CHKDSK program fixed the corrupted folder (and/or the corrupted hidden files inside) so you could delete it properly, and allow Windows to recreate a proper recycle bin folder.

7. PatP3005

PatP3005 Thread Starter

Thank you for the explanation. I've suspected a coming failure for a while. Just got a new drive this week in anticipation of that.

The full backup ran last night. And I had the corrupted drive message again this morning. Any suggestions or should I just assume it is dying? And if it is, is there a way to section off the bad sector to use the good area for storage?

8. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

The manufacturers of disks provide free tools to check them.
    Look for the free tool and run it. Be aware that a thorough test may lose the contents of the drive.
    CHKDSK /R should do a surface test and move what data it can and mark bad sectors so they aren't used. However if there are severe problems, the disk will deteriorate quite quickly.

9. gurutech

gurutech

10. PatP3005

PatP3005 Thread Starter

I'm going to mark this SOLVED. It seems a pretty safe bet to me that I have some bad sectors. I don't have enough time right now to run the diagnostics on it, but I have gotten a replacement drive set up.

GuruTech and Dave, thank you both for your time. I'm very grateful. Have a jolly New Year! :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1115400

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice