1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Corrupt Windows?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Hillian, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hillian

Hillian Thread Starter

So I deleted my windows partition and formatted(full not quick) my hard drive so I could start fresh for Windows since I just got a new motherboard! So I went to reinstall Windows XP Pro Corporate Ed. and when I do is says that certain files like drmclien.dll was not copied correctly. There are other files that dont copy right either(most of them are .dll but some are .sys files). My Windows disc is completely scratch free and what not and its a legit copy...I just dont know why the files are messing up like this....? Anyone have a suggestion for me to try?

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Give the Disk a clean and if you have a CD-Rom cleaner use that too.

Also try reformating the drive again.

3. Hillian

Hillian Thread Starter

Ive tried all this and still nothing...ehh...anytihng else?

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy folks...

Hillian...

If it were mine I'd run Memtest on it http://www.memtest86.com/

What you are describing sounds like bad memory...

5. Hillian

Hillian Thread Starter

So I ahve this amazing feature on my motherboard(since I jsut got a new one), it allows me to run memtest86 right off of my bios menu so I dont even need to go throguh all the work of d/l it,etc. Im running the test right now and its not looking good...I dont know if im reading the results wrong or what, but so far it seems no tests have passed and it says I have almost 400,000 errors....Im going to attach a picture of the screen...help me diagnose this please....

Attached Files:

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Well...

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

But you should not be getting any errors on good memory, so it's bad memory...

If you have more than 1 stick, try testing them 1 at a time, maybe you have only 1 bad...

Remember...even 1 bad stick can ruin the whole install ;)...

7. Hillian

Hillian Thread Starter

so i did the memory check on each chip...I have 2/4 bad sticks but there covered under warranty still so Corsair will replace the chips for me for free!!! =] ANd My pc is working(Im on it now), so thank you!!

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Ya know that's great :D...

Glad it's up and running, and that the sticks will be replaced...(y)

As an after thought what motherboard do you have?

So far I've never seen one that has Memtest hard coded into the BIOS, and I'm just curious...

9. Hillian

Hillian Thread Starter

check my signature....it better be pretty amazing because it was $140....I at first bought an Asus A8N-32 Deluxe SLI mobo and it kept messing up so bad so I told Asus to shove it and Ive heard alot of good tihngs about the Lan Party series that DFI puts out, and its a beautiful board....though, Ive never found the perfect board for my setup yet...but hey, my pc works, so its one step up, itll be even better when my new memory comes in!! =]

10. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

He...he..he.:D...

Silly me...

Thanks, I'll recomend these boards just for the fact that Memtest is integrated into the BIOS...

Hope everything works out when the new memory arrives, just remember, test it after it comes in (y)..

You can get bad memory straight out of the box...

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542872

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice