1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: corrupted drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by edsjunk, Dec 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. edsjunk

edsjunk Thread Starter

I have XP and my cdrom doesn't show up in "my computer" anymore. I can't re-install it because it says I have missing or bad drivers. I have a Plexwriter 12/10/32A cd-rom and I went to thier web site support and they say the drivers are embedded in winXP. I have also tried re-installing my old cd-rom but had the same results. I've been told that I can download a program onto a floppy to start my cd-rom in DOS but I'm not sure which program to use. My system restore isn't working either so I'm afraid to do something without being sure. Can someone help? Is it possable to copy the drivers off someone elses XP-CD and reload them?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is no need for drivers in XP. They are already there.

Can you explain a little more, like when you get the message, its exact wording, when the problem began, and things like that?

There is no DOS in XP, so don't mess with DOS drivers or you may cause some really serious problems.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Go to Device Manager and remove your CD-ROM's by right-clciking on them and choosing "Remove" under CD/DVD ROM drives.

Look under IDE Controllers to see if anything looks unusual there.

Click "Cancel" each time it prompts you to restart.

Then, go to Start >Run, and type:
    regedit

Find this key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11C
    E-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
    Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values completely from the right pane.

Shut down your machine. Check all the connections on the drives and the mainboard to be sure they are firmly in place.

Then, reboot and see if they work.

4. edsjunk

edsjunk Thread Starter

I've tried removing the cd-rom already.
    When I try to re-install I get this:
    Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Register:
    E-BFC1-08002BE10318}\0000
    E-BFC1-08002BE10318}\properties

5. edsjunk

edsjunk Thread Starter

I don't know what to look for under IDE Controlers.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Nothing specific under IDE controllers. Just look for any warnings that things are not working properly.

Did you try removing the devices from Device manager? Remove all the drives lited under CD-ROM and then run regedit and delete this key (and all its subkeys):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Did you look to see if those Upper Filters and Lower Filters existed in your registry and removed tham if they did?

Try removing all of these things and rebooting again. But it is imporatant to check all the connections, too. It's possible something worked itself loose and caused all of this in the first place.

Have you installed or uninstalled any CD burning software or any other drives?

7. edsjunk

edsjunk Thread Starter

So, I remove this entirly?
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"

"Did you look to see if those Upper Filters and Lower Filters existed in your registry and removed tham if they did?" What exactly am I looking for?

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, just delete that entry. Those contain information on your CD-ROM's, probably 2 of them now. They will be replaced and uodated when they are redetected by XP.

This key:
    E-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
    may or may not have Upper and Lower Filters in the right pane. If there, remove them. If not, just leave it as it is.

9. edsjunk

edsjunk Thread Starter

Evandll, THANKS!! IiT WORKED!!!! Everyone was great. I deleted the reg key, rebooted after removing cdrom, rebooted after installing the cdrom & it worked. Thanks again for everyone's help.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

Great news! Glad that's all it took. Now don't just start deleting reg keys to fix every problem LOL. :D

Thanks for the foillowup. You can mark the thread "solved" by using the Thread Tools.

11. ltoutlook

ltoutlook

I have the same problem. The system is not letting me delete the key. I think it will solve it if I can delete the whole thing. I got rid of the subkeys - just the key and the properties are left. What next, please....

Carolyn

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/306642

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice