Solved: Corrupted File in Norton Ghost

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Hulk701

Banned
Hey Gang,

I am trying to do a restore from Norton Ghost 2003. I have two drives, C and D, and they both have a full Ghost on my G drive. However I went to restore the D drive today and it has a corrupted file, so Ghost only goes about 70% through.

D drive has only games in it.

Is there any way I can get around this? I don't want to reload all the games in my entire drive because of one little glitch.

Thanks,
HULK!:(

You will need to move your games etc. to another drive or back them up to CD's or DVD's.

One other way you could do it would be to partition your C or D drive to add an another drive (partition) and then move your D drive data over there temporarily.

If you partition the D drive though, the remaining D drive will still have to be big enough to accomodate the data from the Ghost Image file.

I would be most likely to add the partition to the C drive because if you only got a partial restoration from the faulty Ghost Image, it probably is not running right now anyway so the C drive partition could be quite small until you are ready to restore it.

Hulk701

Banned
Wouldn't moving the segments to several DVD disks not work because the same flaw would be present in the disks?

In other words, yes I can copy the segments over to DVD's but I"m not sure that would solve anything because the flaw would be carried over too.....or would it?

Thanks,
HULK!

I am not that familiar with Ghost 2003; however, many will advise you to put drive images on a dedicated partition in order to avoid corruption. Wish you luck with attempts to restore; however, you probably are going going to have to at least do a repair install.
Gene

If you did a partial reinstall of the C: drive from your Ghost Image and it said that it could not complete because it was a corrupted image, the C: drive probably will not work. Any data that was on it is probably gone.

Copying the existing D: drive data and files to DVD should work OK but copying the the Ghost Image will not make it well.

The existing files on the D: drive should be OK unless you have unsuccessfully tried to reinstall them from a corrupted Ghost Image that did not complete. If you did that, the existing files on the D: drive are probably gone.

My experience with Ghost has been that once I start reinstalling a Ghost Image, everything on the destination drive is destroyed so if the Ghost Image is corrupt, you end up with nothing useful and your old data is gone.

That is why I would copy those files on the D: drive to some other media and then try that Ghost Image next. If you have already tried restoring the D: drive from a Ghost Image and it said it could not complete because it was corrupt, the existing data on the D: drive is probably gone forever.

When you mention copying "segments" to a DVD drive, if you are referring to Ghost Image segments, you are right. Any defect in the image would be transferred. I was suggesting that you copy your existing, non-ghost image files so they can be saved in the event that the D: drive Ghost Image is also corrupt.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
As I said before, I don't know of a way to recover data from corrupted GHOST images. You might check in the Symantec Knowledge Base and see if there's any mention of recovery methods. Have you tried mounting the image with GHOST Explorer?

Hulk701

Banned
Well gang,

I finally did manage to restore all my games manually (one by one). Out of 63 games only 4 had to be reinstalled. That's pretty good the alternative was to reinstall ALL of them..

Thanks for your help!:D

This thread is SOLVED(y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online