1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Corrupted files, chkdsk not working, no system restore points!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mistymaz, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mistymaz

Mistymaz Thread Starter

I recently tried to back-up my files onto an external hard drive after having a few problems/errors with certain applications with the intention of re-formatting my PC, however i've come across numerous other problems in the process!

I've noticed numerous files would not transfer to the external hard-drive due to the files being corrupted. I tried to run a chkdsk to see if it would mend the corrupted files but the chkdsk would not run due to an error which was supposedly caused by recently installed software and it recommended doing a system restore.

I attempted to do a system restore, however for some bizarre reason it was turned off resulting in having no system restore points!

I'm currently in the process of backing up whatever is salvageable until i can try and fix this issue. I came across a folder which once was full of PSD (photoshop) files but an error pops up saying that the file or directory is corrupt and unreadable. It says the folder is empty with 0 bytes.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this issue?

Thank You,
    Marie

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Likely cannot be fixed. Based on your description, there is file corruption. The most likely cause, would be the HDD is faulty.

I would start by testing the HDD. You should be able to tell the brand by the drive name in Device Manager. You can then download the disk tools from the drive manufacturers website and use the tool to test the drive. Run the short and long test. If either test fails or there are errors, the drive is faulty. In which case, you will need a new HDD.

3. Mistymaz

Mistymaz Thread Starter

Thanks for your suggestion.

I'm currently testing both my internal and external hard drives. Both have passed the quick/short test, just currently running the extended test to see what the result is.

Ive managed to salvage some, if not most of the images using a piece of software, however i am having no luck recovering the folders with the "file or directory is corrupt and unreadable" error.

4. Mistymaz

Mistymaz Thread Starter

UPDATE:

As stated in the previous comment, i did a quick test on both my hard drives which passed. I also did a extended test on my external hard drive which has also passed. I have yet to test my internal hard drive.

I have now managed to get chkdsk working by uninstalling my Norton Anti Virus program and restarting my PC. I ran the chkdsk and it seems to have recovered some of the corrupted files and deleted the rest. The folder which i had the "file or directory is corrupt and unreadable" error is still completely empty, however the error has disappeared. I'm starting to think it is damaged beyond repair, but if anyone has suggestions, please let me know.

UPDATE 2:

After researching and trying everything i think i've managed to recover some of the files (and hopefully all of them) from the corrupted folder/s! I ended up using a program called '[email protected] File Recovery'. The quick scan worked for the majority of my jpegs but not for recovering the folder. Instead i done a superscan on the folder which contained PSD files and so far it seems to have recovered them. The whole process is going to take hours, so i paused it, searched through everything it found by limiting my search with a .PSD abbreviation and so far so good! I've got back working PSD files. Next step is to finish the superscan process, search and recover files, back-up everything, then format my PC.

I will mark the thread as solved.

5. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Check some the files and ensure they are actually valid. It's not uncommon for file recovery software to "recover" files after corruption, but upon testing the files, they are actually corrupt and unuseable.

6. Mistymaz

Mistymaz Thread Starter

Yeah, i've opened up a couple of the files in photoshop on two different PC's and they seem to be working fine on both.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1066135

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice