1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Solved: Corrupted files

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Deletedmember628314, Jan 4, 2013.

Unmark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CLCS

CLCS

I believe the reason a malware scan was asked to be run was he is having Internet and browser issues, also a better antivirus was suggested just for gp.

He was asked to run GSmartControl and check disk because he says he has corrupted files, and sometimes that can be a hard drive issue I'm sure you know?

Maybe its overkill but that removes the hard drive an infection possibilities, now his problem is either network or OS related in my opinion. I should have elaborated and asked more questions I guess, maybe he isn't sure what a corrupted file is,

2. Deletedmember628314

Deletedmember628314 Guest Thread Starter

Hi,
    First, let me say thank you to all you guys that have been trying to help me. you guys here at 'Tech Support Guy' web site are great!

A few month's ago I was given this old PMC computer and an HP printer and I was glad to recieve it since I am out of work and living on S.S. and I can not afford one.
    When I also hooked up an HP printer to it...it would not print so I contacted a "HP Tech Expert" online and he said he can check it for me if I gave him permission to access my PC online.

I said yes..[what do I know]..He said that all printer connections were correct but that he had found numerous "corrupted files" on my PC which were causing the problem.

He then said...That for a low low price of only $269.00...he could fix it all right online, since he now had access to my PC.
    Of course, I said no....[He sounded like a used car salesman].....but that is why I assumed my PC problems were "corrupted files" related when I posted on 'Tech Support Guy'.

Problem review:....I can not "update" any programs...When I try I always get a pop up window that says..."Can Not Connect To The Internet"...
    Programs like Adobe Flash Player can not be updated...I could not download and use Bit Defender Anti Virus because it tried to "update" right away.
    The AntiVirus I was using said I had 86 "vulnerable files"..[image attached].

I am using IE 7...when I downloaded and tried to use IE 8...I could not get onto the Internet at all !....It would always say...Can Not Connect To Internet.

When I went back to using IE 7...I at least can get online and do a little something like get my email and annoy you guys with questions.

Attached Files:

3. CLCS

CLCS

I'll admit this is an odd one, you don't see this every day. There a few more easy things you can try, to see if its fixed after just try to update malwarebytes, java, or another program.

First reset Internet explorer to default settings, also reset the advanced settings this should show you how.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Reset-Internet-Explorer-7-settings

Reset Windows Firewall settings to default:
    Click on Start > Run > Type "firewall.cpl" without quotes and press Enter.
    In the window that opens, select the Advanced tab
    In the "Default Settings" section, click on the "Restore Defaults" button.

Can also try repairing the network connection. Go to the Network Connections options in Control panel (Control Panel > Network Connections), right click on the network connection you want and choose the repair option.

Try to flush your DNS:
    Click "Start," select "All Programs," point to the "Accessories" menu and click the "Command Prompt" shortcut.
    Type "ipconfig /flushdns" at the command prompt without quotes.
    Press Enter to flush your DNS cache.

If none of these work we can continue, but these are the simple fixes. Try each one then see if its fixed before moving on.

4. Deletedmember628314

Followed your instructions step by step.....but could not update MalwareBytes or any other program. Would only get a pop up window saying ERROR- Connection Refused.

5. dai

dai

6. Deletedmember628314

I followed the instructions for only step one...because it said I had the correct connection..right?

The IP Adress said: 192.168.2.2

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

The "vulnerabilities" listed by Kingsoft are Windows Updates that need to be installed.

Since you have XP, try resetting your connection settings.

Open a command prompt (Use Run: cmd.exe if you want).

Then type these commands:

netsh winsock reset catalog (ENTER)
    netsh int ip reset reset.log (ENTER)

Now restart the machine and see if anything has changed with your connection.

What you have done earlier would have been a good approach for "corrupted files", but I think it should have been determined whether that was the problem. And now it looks like it most certainly isn't.

(Glad you didn't spend that money. Where did you get the contact info? Are you sure it was HP or just an "HP Expert" from elsewhere? "Corrupted Files" seems to have become the PC equivalent of the human "bad chi". And have I got just the cure you need for that! Also, it is not ALWAYS bad to allow someone to connect to your machine, but make sure you trust them.)

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

I understand everyone's good intentions. But it was kind of like someone coming into the ER and saying, "I have compromized carotid circulation," and the docs rushing him into surgery. A few tests might be appropriate, if you know what I mean. :D The patient's "diagnosis" is really not final, but another piece of the puzzle.

9. Deletedmember628314

I followed the steps you gave me, Elvandil,....but everything is the same.
    After restating I attempted a Windows Update...but this is what pop up....

Automatic Updates WAS ON.

[Error number: 0x8DDD0018]

[​IMG] The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is not running:
    • Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install high-priority updates for your computer)
    • Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download more quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)
    • Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with troubleshooting, if needed)
    To make sure these services are running:
    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
    3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then click Properties.
    4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
    5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.
    6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
    7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
    8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.
    9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click Properties.
    10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
    11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you haven't, go through all your services and start any set to automatic that are not running. Not all will keep running, but note any error messages.

How are you connecting to the internet? Router, directly, wirelessly? What type of connection?

Any other computers using that connection successfully?

[​IMG]

Also, open a command window. Type:

ipconfig /all >C:\log.txt

(Copy and paste, if you want.) Then, open your C: drive and find the log.txt file at the root of the drive (bottom directory, what you see when first clicking on C: in My Computer). Open it, copy its text, and paste here.

11. Deletedmember628314

I clicked on "run" and typed in ipconfig /all >C:\log.txt like you said to do.
    But the command window would only "flash" and then disappear!!! Tried twice with the same results.
    What type of connection you ask? ? Okay, here is where I give you a good laugh and show my computer ignorance and why your patience with me is so appreciated....I don't know! LOL.
    I am subletting a friends apartment. They took out there computer when they left and did not tell me anything about it. Although I did use it for a while and it worked fine using IE 8 and XP.

Not that I have not said it before....but let me restate the problem I am having....I can not update any exisisting programs including Windows Updates on this old PMC computer that someone gave me. I can install programs...but not update. Whenever I try...I get a "NOT CONNECTED TO INTERNET" pop up. I am using IE 7 and when I downloaded IE 8 and tried to run it....I got a "CANNOT DISPLAY WEB PAGE"....."NO INTERNET CONNECTION".

Question....Should I just save up my pennies and get a new or slightly used computer tower?
    Question....Would it help if I tried using a different Browser?...maybe something like Opera?

12. Deletedmember628314

I downloaded Firefox Browser and gave it a try...but as expected...when I tried to use it all I got was this....

Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.mozilla.com.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
    moments.
    If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.
    If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083789

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice