Solved: Corrupted Mail-Merge Letter

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DKTaber

I apparently have a Word mail-merge letter with a corrupted Access header that will not open; leaves Word as "not responding" every time. I need to open the letter to remove the header or see what's wrong, but can't because clicking it causes it to try to do the merge.

I seem to recall that there's a way to open a mail-merge Word document in a way that blocks the merge instructions from executing. I thought it was by holding down the Shift key, but that doesn't work. So how can I open this letter so I can correct what ails it?

First Name
Jim
Did you try opening the file in Wordpad and then try to muck around with it? I would no expect the Mail Merge to do anything from there.

DKTaber

Did you try opening the file in Wordpad and then try to muck around with it? I would no expect the Mail Merge to do anything from there.
I thought about trying to open it with Notepad, which I knew couldn't read Word code, but completely forgot about Wordpad. Yes, it opens in Wordpad, thanks.

However, strange thing happened this morning. Just for the "fun" of it, I tried one more time to open the letter with Word. . . and it worked. The only explanation I can come up with is that Windows wasn't working right when I tried it yesterday. Last night, I turned the computer off (not just hibernate, power off). That, of course, bled the system of the extraneous junk that was keeping the letter from working.

I feel like an idiot. I've had my own computer since the early DOS days (1984), have replaced entire motherboards several times, have fixed hundreds of software problems not only in my computers but also in those of my friends. When they call to tell me something isn't working, first thing I ask them to do is power down and back up!!! But do I think to do it when I have a problem? Noooooo, no, no. Dumb, dumb, and dumber!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online