1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Could a shaky IDE cable cause heat problems?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Skivvywaver, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver Thread Starter

The title pretty much says it all. I have a round IDE cable that is maybe questionable. Could this give any heat issues. I'll be back to check on this because right now I am going to yank the thing out and install a flat ribbon. :confused:

My machine got warmer after the install. Maybe not related but I am going to pull it.

2. WarC

WarC

Did you accidently leave a case fan unplugged? I've done that an incredibly stupid amount of times while fuddling w/ the cables inside. I've never heard of round IDE cables generating heat. Do they get really warm to the touch?

Did you test the temp. the second time in a warmer place than you were at when you tested the temp. the first time? Variations in temperature outside the case will affect the temperature inside the case, air cooling can only ever keep it matched with the ambient room. So that can affect the reading.

3. Skivvywaver

I might just be paranoind WarC. I have just recovered from disaster and I am really watching the machine closely. I got hit by a spike last week and it wiped me out.

I am now running a XP3200+ and it runs a little warmer than I am used to. I want to use the stock cooler though because I am tired of listening to a 747 in this room.

All my fans are working and I am back on brand new ribbon cables. Man I am idling at 51*C though. Peg her out with prime95 or game for awhile and she'll hit 62*C. Not deadly but damned warm. I just don't want the volcano on this chip.

4. Arcadion

Arcadion

A faulty IDE cable can cause data corruption but I seriously doubt it could increase the heat inside your machine, if anything those rounded cables should improve airflow.

5. Skivvywaver

Yeah, I would think so. I folded the flat ones and folded them in beside my cdroms though. 6 to 1 half a dozen to the other. It didn't help my heat or make it any worse. I know the chip can hit 85 before it starts to fry but I have idled in the upper 30's for the last couple of years.

I used AS5 and even reseated the sink. Oh well.;) Might have something to do with the 400 FSB.

6. WarC

WarC

What kind of heatsink do you have on it?

7. Skivvywaver

I am using the stock sink. I have a thermaltake volcano but I am tired of hearing it. I'll set my asus probe to alarm at 65*C and if it hit that I'll put the 747 superjet back in it.

The probe is actually right on in this board. Same as the bios readout.

8. Skivvywaver

The 747 flies again. I put my volcano 11+ back on the machine. Full load pegged with prime95 and 55 max.

Now that isn't bad for a 3200+. It might even get better after a few days of burn in.

Tower, are we cleared for take off? :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!