1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Could a weak power supply cause CDroms to disappear?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chum, Jan 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Occasionally...I'll go into "my computer" and see just the HDD and the floppy...the DVD Rom and burner(they share the secondary IDE) are missing. They are also missing in "device manager". (no error codes in DM...just no entry for CDroms). If I look at properties of secondary IDE...it does not show any problems...just has nothing connected to it. A reboot usually fixes this...but it is happening more often now...and one time, reboot did not work. On that occasion I went into BIOS and the CD roms were not detected...I turned off, unplugged and turned on again and they were back.

Windows XP Pro
    Asus P4P800
    P4 2.6 gig (HT enabled)
    512 Meg DDR (2/256 dual channel)
    Case lighting
    2 case fans
    350 watt power supply

2. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Anyone?

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

If the power supply was that dodgy, then its unlikley the PC would run. It shares the same PSU after all.

Most likely a poorly plugged in secondary IDE cable, or a dud cable.

4. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

I'll try a new cable...but could a cable that is not being moved, work sometimes and sometimes not?

P.S. Thanks for replying...I have disconnected aand reconnected the cable...I'll get another one, replace it and let the forum know.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Actually Chum a cable that is not properly seated could very easily do this. there is always vibration happenin when a computer is turned on. Fans turning and hard drivies turning. It doesnt take a whloe lot of movement to make and breake a low level electrical circuit. Before going out and making any purchases though, try unplugging the cable from the mothrboard and plugging it back in gently yet firmly enough to seat it all the way. Do the same thing for the connection at each of your optical drives. If you do make a purchase, go ahead and get a 40 pin 80 conductor uata cable. Wont really help much with the throughput on your optical drives, but if you ever decide to hang a hard drive off the cable you will need one anyway.

6. joeyd

joeyd

i had the same fault except with a hard drive, and in this case it did turn out to be the power supply. If new cables dont work it is worth a try if u can get hold of a spare

7. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Thanks...the cable(s) in my system are the 40 pin 80 conductor type...and the first thing I did was reseat them...
    The weird part of this problem is that the drives disappear after the computer has been on for a while...They are almost always present at boot up except for the one instance that I described in my first post...happily the problem has not occurred in two days....should have kept my mouth shut...they're probably gone now!:D

8. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

UPDATE...

Appears to be fixed...it was the crappy power supply that came with my Aspire case. The problem went away for quite awhile and came back with a vengence when I installed 9800 Pro vid card...caused a huge (new) draw from the power supply...and CD roms were missing on almost every boot...disconnected the burner, and it would always find the DVD rom, so I figured it had to be the PSU....put in a new Fortron 350watter...problem gone! :D :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/193063

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice