1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Could someone help with this?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by darrrius, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. darrrius

darrrius Thread Starter

Hi

I wonder if someone would be able to help me with a problem I am having with my laptop. It seems to have begun freezing and hanging very regularly, mostly when I am connected to the interent. This seems to have occured only in the last couple of days, since I have had my broadband services switched on. My service provider is Talk Talk and I am sure this problem is something to do with them, or my wireless network adapter.

I know this might be very hard to diagnose... Occasianally I get a blue screen, but mostly the screen simply freezes - sometimes with a long BLEEEEEEEEEEP... or, if I have multimedia playing while it freezes it just constantly repeats the last second of audio in a never ending loop. The only way out of these hangs is to switch off.

I'd be most greatful if one of the experts here could help me diagose and solve this annoying problem.

Kind regards

Dave

2. sludge3000

sludge3000

An upgrade to your internet connection would not affect your machine in this way. Did you have to install any additional software on the laptop for the upgrade? You should check that all your device drivers are up to date. Does the laptop freeze and crash when playing multimedia while offline?

Can you also post your machines specs i.e. make,model,cpu,RAM, etc

3. Claymore

Claymore

If you're getting these during the internet hangup, try the following to help us perhaps isolate the problem. NOTE - anything you post should be at the date and time of the blue screens.

Create and Event Viewer entry and a minidump crash log

Right-click My Computer and click on Properties.
    Click the Advanced tab and in the 'Startup and Recovery' section click Settings.
    In the 'System Failure' section check these boxes:
    'Write an event to the system log'.
    'Send an Administrative alert'.
    Uncheck the 'Automatically restart' box.
    In the 'Write debugging information' section, select 'Small memory dump (64KB)'.

The next time you experience a crash, the computer will blue screen, an event will be written to the Event Viewer, and a minidump file will be created.

=====================================
    Check the Event Viewer:

Go to Start => Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" {without the quotes}
    Maximize the window that opens.
    In the 'Application' and 'System' sections double-click on any Errors at about the time of the failure.

Click the small double-page button. This will copy the Error message to the clipboard from where you can paste it into a post and/or into Notepad.
    Also, click the blue hyperlink which will take you to online Help & Support where you may find some suggested solutions to the problem.

The minidump file(s) are located in C:\Windows\minidump. They are dated: month-day-year. Collect the more recent ones into a folder and zip (compress) this into a single file. Attach this file to your next post by clicking on 'Manage Attachments' under the posting dialog box, and Uploading the file.

4. darrrius

darrrius Thread Starter

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Strangley this problem seemed to go away for a few days but happened again today.

Claymore - The blue screen happens very rarely, the main problem is that the laptop will simply freeze, sometimes with a long bleep. Will the event viewer and mini-dumps help in this instance?

I think the freezes happen when the laptop is trying to do something complex, like skpe calling or streaming video...

I have also noticed that when booting up, the laptop displays MBR Error 3 very quickly and then boots up as normal... Is this the problem?

Kind regards and thanks for any help given here.

Dave

5. Claymore

Claymore

Hello again,

The Event Viewer would be a better bet to record a freeze. The dump files are for crashes. Unless you get a blue screen that's related to the problem. Perhaps for now you could give us the Event Viewer information - at the time of the freezes. Use the Copy/Paste routine so we can see all the info that's available, especially any faulting process and the EVENT ID number.

Thanks

p.s. the MBR error we can look at later. This may be able to be fixed from the Recovery Console, but there's always some risk in fixing the MBR. Do you get the error every time you start the computer?

6. darrrius

darrrius Thread Starter

Hi Claymore

Thanks for the advice. Ok the laptop just froze while I was browsing the web, just on bbc new website. Here are the Error messages from the event viewer at that time:

Application:

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: EAPOL
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 2002
    Date: 29/04/2009
    Time: 22:14:49
    User: N/A
    Computer: AUDIO
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 2002 ) in Source ( EAPOL ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: The event log file is corrupt..
    Event ID: 2003
    Time: 22:14:49
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 2003 ) in Source ( EAPOL ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: The event log file is corrupt..
    Event ID: 0
    Time: 22:14:30
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( iPod Service ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service started.
    Event ID: 1800
    Time: 22:14:15
    Description:
    The Windows Security Center Service has started.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Event ID: 1
    Time: 22:14:14
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( sprtsvc_talktalk ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service started.
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( tgsrvc_talktalk ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service Started from thread 1972
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( RegSrvc ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service started.
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( Bonjour Service ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: mDNSResponder started
    Description:
    The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( EvtEng ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service started.

System:

Event Type: Information
    Event Source: EventLog
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 6009
    Time: 22:14:13
    Description:
    Microsoft (R) Windows (R) 5.01. 2600 Service Pack 3 Multiprocessor Free.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Event ID: 6005
    Time: 22:14:13
    Description:
    The Event log service was started.

Event ID: 7036
    Time: 22:14:16
    Description:
    The Terminal Services service entered the running state.

Event ID: 7035
    User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    Description:
    The Fast User Switching Compatibility service was successfully sent a start control.

Description:
    The Fast User Switching Compatibility service entered the running state.

Description:
    The F-Secure Gatekeeper service was successfully sent a start control.

Description:
    The Network Location Awareness (NLA) service was successfully sent a start control.

Description:
    The Network Location Awareness (NLA) service entered the running state.

Description:
    The Application Layer Gateway Service service was successfully sent a start control.

Description:
    The Application Layer Gateway Service service entered the running state.

Event ID: 4201
    Time: 22:14:59
    Description:
    The system detected that network adapter Intel(R)...Link 4965AGN - Packet Scheduler Miniport was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.

Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 02 00 50 00 ......P.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 69 10 00 40 [email protected]
    0010: 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    Event ID: 35
    Time: 22:15:18
    Description:
    The time service is now synchronizing the system time with the time source time.windows.com (ntp.m|0x1|192.168.1.3:123->207.46.232.182:123).

Event ID: 35
    Time: 22:15:18
    Description:
    The time service is now synchronizing the system time with the time source time.windows.com (ntp.m|0x1|192.168.1.3:123->207.46.232.182:123).

Event ID: 4201
    Time: 22:16:19
    Description:
    The system detected that network adapter Intel(R)...Link 4965AGN - Packet Scheduler Miniport was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation over the network adapter.

Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 02 00 50 00 ......P.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 69 10 00 40 [email protected]
    0010: 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

Hope this is helpful and I posted the right stuff

Thanks for the help, really apreciate it. These freezes are getting so frustrating!

Kind regards

Dave

7. Claymore

Claymore

Hello again Dave,

Sorry for all the work, but these are just Information events that tell you that something started successfully..
    You're looking for the red Errors or possibly yellow Warnings at about the time of the freezes. Do you see any?

8. darrrius

darrrius Thread Starter

Hi Claymore

Thanks for the reply. I dont mind working hard to get this problem fixed!

Unfortunatly there do not seem to be any errors around the time of the freeze... when I scroll through the events I can see some red errors, but they do not relate to the time that the system freezes.

Would you like to see these errors? I'm not sure that they will help diagnose the problem as they are not time related...

I'm beginning to think a fresh install of windows XP is the only solution here... not something i'd like to do but would consider if it would fix this problem...

Kind regards

Dave

9. darrrius

darrrius Thread Starter

Hi Claymore.

Thanks for taking the time to look into my problem, really appreciate it. I'm just writing to report that I have today wiped the hard disk and re-installed windows due in part to the freezes, but also that I got infected by a nasty malware / virus type bug today. The laptop is now running like a dream after installing all the drivers and updating windows.

Thanks again for the help.

Kind regards

Dave

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!