1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Count IF Knucklebreaker

Discussion in 'Archive: Business Applications' started by Serch, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Serch

Serch Thread Starter

Good day all, first timer here.
    I've read several threads on how to use the Countif Function I currently applied it to a worksheet of mine and thought I succeeded until I double checked. I'm trying to compare two columns of data, need to know if the numbers from the second column are found in the first column.I tried to attach my xls example but its way to large. Basically and as exmaple the data in row C1574 is in fact included in row A8459 but the formula still shows "NOT FOUND".
    All I can send is a printscreens so you guys can look at my formula.

Need Help !!

Attached Files:

2. edhicks

edhicks

Welcome You'll find some great folks and help here
    While waiting for the "big boys" to post please consider the following

Some thoughts for you to test

You can remove >0 from formula the count if function is all you need If(countif(range,criteria),"Found","Not Found")
    Compare column D and column F formulas on attached file

check your row number, rows are from 1 to 65536 or so

A8459 is not a valid row number I think your comparing cells C1574 and A8459

compare with attached test file and tell me what I am not understanding
    C1574 is a string (ie.non-numeric), In any blank cell type C1574=A8459. True says they match False says they differ A leading or trailing blank will cause them to differ even though appearing the same

Attached Files:

3. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Formulas look good. Check for leading/trailing spaces. For example, a trailing space will show two values as not equal. So "S8110-004" is NOT equal to "S8110-004 ". See the space? They're a killer.

4. Serch

Serch Thread Starter

Thank You both for your quick replys !!!!....I looked closely and yes, the problem is the spaces between characters in certain cells, so this brings up another question......is there anyway I can format the cells as to not have spaces in between characters or at the end for that matter?.
    Thanks again your advise solved part of my troubles.

5. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Excel has a TRIM function for removing leading and trailing spaces from a text string. I do not know of any function for removing spaces between characters. Now that I have said that I am sure someone will prove I am wrong.

If your column A entries are not constantly changing it might be simpler to use "Replace" in Excel's Edit menu. Just select the entire column and replace all instances of a space with nothing.

EDIT: If the one time use of Edit->Replace is not practical, the SUBSTITUTE function may work for you as described on this page from the MS site:

Remove spaces and nonprinting characters from text
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HP030561311033.aspx

6. Serch

Serch Thread Starter

Chuck, that did the job, Thank you all !!

7. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Glad to hear that we were able to help you out.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757384

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice