1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: CPU at half speed suddenly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ironfist, Feb 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ironfist

ironfist Thread Starter

Just today I noticed that my CPU clock speed was 1.01Ghz when it should be 2.01ghz. It is an AMD 64 3200 not overclocked or anything. The only change I made was upgading my graphics card. It is now a 7800GTX 256. The power supply is 450W which is recommended.

Help?

Thanks

Ironfist

2. winbob

winbob

Just to start the conversation going...what was it that told you the Clock Speed?

3. ironfist

ironfist Thread Starter

Erm the Windows System dialog and CPU-Z. I checke din CPU-Z because I thought windows was just being a bit dodgy.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ironfist

EDIT: Could it be because of power demands? The new graphics card was quite a step up. Maybe there isn't enough power so it has bought the speed down.

4. winbob

winbob

I would not expect that result from a PS situation...but anything is possible???

Why not try puting the old card back in and seeing what happens.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That chip would use a 10X multiplier. It is pretty obvious that your fsb or HT has been reset to 100 ie 10X100=1000 or 1gig.

Some boards will load failsafe defaults if a problem is noted. Check your bios to see what the HT speed is now set at and post back.

Also list your exact specs ie make and model of mb, brand and wattage of power supply, etc. That 7800 card will tax most 450W ps. If you have a real high quality unit like an antec, then it would be ok.

6. ironfist

ironfist Thread Starter

Ok this is going to sound weird but the problem was Cool 'n' Quiet. I had only heard about it and didn't know my machine was capeable. Apperntly it was as it was enabled. Changed the power management and the prob went away. No idea why it was set to minimal power management. I'm the only person who has touched this machine and I tend to leave those areas alone.

Well thanks fo the help.

Ironfist

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Not strange at all. That is what C&Q does. I always disable that in the bios. There is no need for it since amd64s run so cool.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!