1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: CPU Dual Core Running Hot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nildefects, Apr 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nildefects

nildefects Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have just installed an AMD Athlon 4800+ Dual Core socket 939 processor (Retail) along with the heatsink and cooling fan it came with.
    Everything booted up fine and the processor was immediately recognised.
    The cooling fan ran at 1600rpm at idle.
    I then loaded it up with 3 multimedia programs doing stuff and got both cores working 100%. The temperatures rocketed from 42 Deg C at idle to a massive 70 Deg C. At which point I stopped all programs. The core temp then feel quickly back to 42 Deg C.
    Could someone advise me what to do? I know there are many retail fans out there that are better than the AMD stock coolers, but surely the AMD's should at least keep the thing from melting???
    I would appreciate you comments. By the way I'm running at standard BIOS settings. No overclock.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suspect that you have a mounting issue with the HS. I have a X2 processor, and it makes it to around 50C under continuous load for both cores.

Another point to consider, do you have proper case cooling? If it's 50C in the case, the processor can only go up from there. :)

3. nildefects

I'm just running the PC at idle now. I have a main chassis fan and a power supply fan as well as the CPU heatsink. All appear to be spinning. The mainboard temp in PC wizard reads 31 Deg C, power/aux temp is 31 Deg C and CPU temp is 44 Deg C. I am using silver thermal paste which I'm told is supposed to be the best.

4. JohnWill

I used AS5 to mount my HS on this system.

It sounds like the HS may not be seated correctly on the processor. If the temperature changes very quickly, that's a sure sign that you don't have good heat transfer.

One test, when it's up at 70C, does the HS feel pretty warm? If the heat it not getting to the HS, that's a giant clue. :)

5. nildefects

It's now running at max CPU usage. CPU temp 67C, mainboard 39C power supply 37C. CPU fan has doubled it's speed to 2200rpm. Chassis fan has gone from 1000rpm to 1500rpm. Heatsink feels hottish!!! Hard to tell what temp it is though.

6. nildefects

CPU fan has now gone up to 3000rpm. Obviously sensing heat.

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

That is way too high. I have a 4800 that never goes beyond 32-38C no matter what you do to it. Either the hsf isn't fastened tightly or the motherboard has a problem.

8. nildefects

I have checked the heatsink and it's tight. You can't move it at all. I then tried my old single core CPU again. Loaded it up and the temp also rose to 60 C. Is it possible that the sensors aren't giving good readings?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, it is possible. The temp sensors used on motherboards are very cheap items. A really accurate temp sensor would cost as much as most entry level motherboards :eek: :eek:

10. JohnWill

If the temperature rises very rapidly, I still think the HS seating isn't proper. By rapidly, I mean 20C in a few seconds. The thermal mass of the HS, especially with the fan running, should be more than enough to keep that from happening that fast.

11. nildefects

Everything seems to be working well so far so do you think I can just ignore it? I've had no crashes yet. Mind you I've only had the thing 2 days. I guess as long as the fan is running and increasing speed when needed I should be ok? Or is this a mistake?
    What is the best cooler on the market for AMD socket 939 set ups at the moment? Maybe I should try another to be safe as my temp indication maybe unreliable?

12. JohnWill

If the HS is rising in temperature significantly, it's probably doing it's job. OTOH, using the stock HS, I can run my processor up to 100% usage, and it takes several minutes for it to rise from the mid 30's to 50C.

13. nildefects

Just tried speedfan to see the temp comparison to PCwizard. The core temp is still rising to 69C. I believe that speedfan uses a temp sensor in the core? I guess that means it is getting hot.

14. Rich-M

Rich-M

I don't know if I would chance that...if the hsf is really on correctly, then I would be willing to bet the board is the problem.

15. nildefects

When you say the board is the problem. Do you mean the board has a defect that is causing the CPU to overheat. Or do you mean the indication is inaccurate and real temp could be very different?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/566480

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice