1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cpu Fan Failed!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lee85boro, Feb 6, 2007.

?

Did You fine this helpfull?

Poll closed Apr 9, 2007.
  1. yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lee85boro

lee85boro Thread Starter

my sister has a Compaq presairo
    celeron d 330
    80g hdd
    512 ddr
    -------------------------------
    "all of a sudden" she was getting this error msg saying
    "CPU fan failed, pc will automatically power down in a few seconds, service pc immediately to prevent CPU damage."
    i have done a lot of building and ect for friends and family so i guessed straight away that it could be 1 of 2 things, faulty fan "duh" or faulty mobo so i changed the fan and still same msg, i have tried 2 different fans and just to be on the safe side a similar power supply out of my own machine.
    i was wondering if i could wing this some how by powering the cpu fan a different way and overriding it in the bios.

thanks, lee

2. lee85boro

lee85boro Thread Starter

if u need more computer specs please let me know

3. telegramsam

telegramsam

Are the fans actually working when you get that message?

4. lee85boro

lee85boro Thread Starter

no the CPU fan dont work at all - like i said i think this is something that just has to be winged, but how hmm:confused:

5. telegramsam

telegramsam

See if there's a jack labled sysfan on the board.

6. lee85boro

lee85boro Thread Starter

just CPU_FAN1 and REAR_FAN1 - no other fan jacks

7. bigbear

bigbear

The system is not going to be very stable without the heatsink working correctly.
    Try blowing the dust of with a can of air duster, if that does not work I would replace the heatsink.
    Not sure why you want to "wing" it though?

8. lee85boro

lee85boro Thread Starter

did you read my first post on this topic or did you just "wing" it and read the title heh
    no fan works on the 3 pin connection which suggests mobo problems which she cant afford so im trying to do the next best thing.

9. telegramsam

telegramsam

well, the rear fan is a steady speed fan, no throttling. Don't know if it's RPM voltage is sufficient for that processor. There may already be a fan connected there, and if it's there in a branded system, it needs to be there. I've run OLD machines with the CPU fan plugged into different jacks, but....

Did I understand correctly that a known good fan didn't work plugged into the same jack? If so, you've got yourself a bad motherboard. Winging it, as bigbear said, is not advisable.

10. bigbear

bigbear

Yea sorry getting late over here maybe its time for bed:D

11. lee85boro

lee85boro Thread Starter

lol i was tired on the night myself... i know winging it is not advisable due to overheating problems and doing further damage to components but i'm willing to take that risk :cool: if anything should go wrong i promise i wont hold it against you.
    so theoretically speaking... (cough) does the rear fan have enough RPM to keep the processor at a stable if not urm wingable temperature lol?

12. telegramsam

telegramsam

Probably. Hook it up and see if your BIOS has hardware monitoring. See what the temps are. Intel's will shut down if they get too hot. (Well, I guess you already know that!)

The question is: will the system run with the fan NOT connected to the CPU fan jack? Don't know the answer to that. Hook it up and give it a try.

13. lee85boro

lee85boro Thread Starter

sounds like the plan is coming together, be back in 10

14. lee85boro

lee85boro Thread Starter

CPU Fan Speed 0 RPM (duh)
    System Fan Speed 2109 RPM (Which the CPU fan is connected

CPU Temp 43*C/109*F
    System Temp 23*C/75*F
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    anyone know if this is stable?
    haven't tried to disable the fan warning yet

15. lee85boro

lee85boro Thread Starter

I dont think i can bypass this in the bios the system will not run with the CPU fan using the rear fan 3 pin connector.
    i wonder if i could bypass this using jumpers on the mobo some how :S i think this is starting to get a little bit sticky, looks like its time for a new mobo. still not all hope is lost. more help needed, still dont know if the speed and temperature is stable???

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice