1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: CPU Heat issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tech_lizard, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tech_lizard

tech_lizard Thread Starter

I am having issues with my cpu temperate even with 0 load on the cpu and also my cooler did not come with a copper base which I thought was the standard? Or am I mistaken. I finally managed to get Windows XP to install without the PC constantly switching itself off and I`ve removed the cpu and the fan and cleaned and reapplied paste (was I wrong to apply a small amount of paste and spread it across the top of the cpu evenly).

I`m running a PCM61M-AM motherboard with an AMD Athlon 64x2 CPU @ 2.2 GHZ (per cpu), 2 GB memory, a 1GB Graphics Card and a 500GB SATA HD.

I have attached a copy of Core-Temp`s screen grab.

Attached Files:

2. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

The older Athlon 64 X2's only came with a aluminum based heatsink and yes a thin layer of thermal compound is fine. Are you sure the heatsink is fastened correctly? There should be very little movement if fastened properly.

3. tech_lizard

Yeah it`s on fine so far as I can tell. Gave it a jiggle to make sure. It`s like if I run Blender and do something like Particle or Fluid simulations it shoots up to 110 degrees in no time. Daren`t play a game on it!!

4. Amd_Man

Amd_Man

Is that 110c? If so there's definitly an issue. Is the cpu fan plugged into the right fan header? What does the BIOS report the temps as?

5. tech_lizard

Yep the cpu fan is plugged in correctly. I`ve had to take it off Smart Fan and let it run full to keep temps down. Bios reported the temp as 35C but Core Temp reported it as 45C.

6. tech_lizard

Just been installing Metro 2033 and the temp reached 102C during INSTALLATION at just 48% load on the cpu then after the inital animation, the pc shut down due to overheat. Gonna have to scrap this heatsink/fan and get a decent copper bottom one.

7. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

Too much or poorly applied heatsink compound can cause that. The fan not running, and the heatsink not securely mounted can also cause it.

Even a properly mounted stock cooler should keep the CPU temps below 65C on a moderate load so check the way the cooler you have is mounted. Youtube should have vids to help too.

8. tech_lizard

Yeah the paste is fine (so far as I can tell) just removed the fan and re-placed it again. Gonna try my Xigmatek HDT-1284 once I can get hold of an AM2 socket retention clip. They`re like rocking horse waste. Checked youtube but I had done everything right.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Those cpus [windsor core] run very cool and the stock hsf is more than adequate for cooling. Many years ago I had one that run in the mid to high 20s under normal loads and up to maybe 40C or so when running prime95.

Either the hsf is not installed correctly or there is some other problem with the hsf ie broken hold-down, fan not spinning, etc.

10. tech_lizard

Ay, seems I may have been ripped off with the hsf. It does spin up and I can hear it running but obviously there is an issue. When I had it on Smart Control it span up, stopped then started again but ran real slow. I thought it was the way it was supposed to run but the temps were berserk so I took it off SC and let it loose. When I first turn the comp on and go into Bios it says Temp:18, by the time Windows is running it is up 38 to 40. Off to PC shop me thinks.

Thanks for all your input it`s been invaluable. I`ll call this one solved for the sake of further to-ing and fro-ing on the issue.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085156

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice