1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: cpu overheating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by iDGAF559, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. iDGAF559

iDGAF559 Thread Starter

i dont know whats the problem but everytime i start windows it freezes at startup....i was wondering if its my heatsink because i touch it and it is very hot....so can anyone tell me whats going on,
    thanks,

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Enter the bios and check your temps and voltages. Post those here.

If you are unsure of how to access the info in the bios, read your manual. It should have detailed instructions on menus, etc.

3. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
    Is there dust buildup inside the tower, are the fans working, what is the make and model of the computer, are you low on ram... please give as much info as possible.

4. iDGAF559

iDGAF559 Thread Starter

ok i got information on my computer:
    hp pavillion 521n
    256 mb ram pc100
    cpu: AMD Athlon 1600+
    cpu speed:1400 MHz/266MHz
    cache ram: 128k+256k
    cpu fan: 4340 rpm
    system fan: 2073 rpm

and here comes the problem

cpu temperature: 63°C/145°F, and could've keeped on going but didnt want to risk it damaging it more

5. iDGAF559

iDGAF559 Thread Starter

hp pavillion 521n
    256 mb ram pc100

cpu temperature: 63°C/145°F, and could've keeped on going but didnt want to risk it damaging it more

6. iDGAF559

iDGAF559 Thread Starter

hp pavillion 521n
    256 mb ram pc100

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

HP used crummy processor coolers on many of their machines (small heatsinks and high RPM fans).

Unplug the machine from the power source. The fan very likely is attached to the heatsink by 4 screws. Note the orientation of the fan and remove the screws to remove the fan. You will most likely find the heatsink is clogged with dust.

Take a small soft paint brush and gently brush the dust from the heatsink then blow the dust out of the chassis with compressed air. Next take some "Q-Tips" dip them in alcohol and clean both the front and back of the fan blades (it will probably take several "Q-Tips" to clean the blades.

After the heatsink is cleaned and the fan blades are clean re-attach the fan to the heatsink in the same orientation as it was removed. Tighten the securing screws "snugly" but do not try to over tighten the screws.

Plag the machine back into the power source, start it up and see if the temperatures are lower.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

While you are inside the machine, take hold of the heatsink and see if it is still firmly attached. With that old of a machine, it is possible that one of the retention lugs or clips could have broken.

Post your temps again after you give the system a good cleaning.

FWIW those old amd athlons should run in the mid 40s or so with a decent cooler.

9. iDGAF559

iDGAF559 Thread Starter

i clean it and everything but still gets hot.
    whats the next option?

10. iDGAF559

iDGAF559 Thread Starter

i clean but still hot...
    the bottom of the heatsink is like brownish burnt though.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Remove the hsf and clean off the old thermal compound; replace with new thermal compound and reinstall the hsf. I assume you have checked and the hsf is in fact spinning when the system is pw ON.

Note for socket A type cpu, I always recommend pulling the mb to install a hsf. this is for two reasons;
    1 The hsf has a recessed edge that fits over a lip on the retentions socket. If you do not get this installed correctly, it will overheat.
    2 The socket A type cpu has an exposed die ie no heat spreader to protect the die. It is not that hard to crack the die when installing the hsf.

For the above two reasons, it is better to pull the mb and do the hsf install then replace the mb.

12. iDGAF559

iDGAF559 Thread Starter

ill do that. where do i get thermal compund for cheap?

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Any computer store or I have even seen it at Staples. This is an example of what you need. Arctic Silver

14. iDGAF559

iDGAF559 Thread Starter

do i have to buy thermal pads? or should i stick with the arctic silver?
    because my cpu is athlon

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is either or NOT both. If you buy a new hsf, it should come with a thermal pad. If you are going to reuse the old one, then you need to buy arctic silver.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917768

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice