1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cpu problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stevecook, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stevecook

stevecook Thread Starter

I have a problem with a kt400 mobo with amd athlon xp cpu which was overheating.
    I've cleaned out the heatsink etc refitted with paste, the fan is working ok and the temp is around 39c but the symptoms persist.
    The PC will boot up ok and run until everything is started then it just locks up, the mouse pointer moves but clicking does nothing - neither does ctrl-alt-delete, and the only way to shut down is with the power switch.
    I tried known good memory without any change so do I go for a new mobo, cpu or both?
    Any ideas please.

PS. tried a new mouse as well.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If you are using WinXP I would try a repair install of the OS before getting as drastic as changing major components. following are teh procedures

XP Repair install
    1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
    2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
    This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
    Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
    3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
    5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.
    6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.
    7. Reapply updates or service packs applied since initial Windows XP installation. Please note that a Repair Install using an Original pre service pack 1 or 2 XP CD used as the install media will remove SP1/SP2 respectively and service packs plus updates issued after the service packs will need to be reapplied.

3. stevecook

stevecook Thread Starter

Sorry, should have mentioned that I did that already.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you haven't done a memory diagnostic, that's the first step. It's VERY unlikely that your processor is the issue. It might be the MB, but I'd suspect memory first.

Microsoft Memory Diagnostic

MEMtest86

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Test in this order.
    1 Run memtest
    2 Test the hd with the mfg's utility for checking the drive
    3 If both of those checkout ok, give the mb a VERY close inspection with a bright light. Look for bulging / leaking caps on the board.
    4 Test the power supply. The easiest way is to swap in a known good unit.

CPU would be the last thing I would suspect. They are really pretty hard to hurt unless you overclock / over volt them.

6. stevecook

stevecook Thread Starter

Thanks for your help guys - as usual I got a PC with two problems!!
    The CPU was overheating so I cleaned a large amount of dust from the heatsink and although the CPU no longer overheats the problem remains.
    I booted into safemode and ran some scans and it turns out the whole thing was riddled with spyware/malware. Ewido, Adaware and Spybot have sorted it all out - problem solved.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489964

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice