1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: cpu running hot even with good cooler

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chewie1012, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chewie1012

chewie1012 Thread Starter

I have built many systems. Every now and then I run into a system I have a hard time cooling. I put together a system last night. an Asus a7v 333 with an AMD xp 3000. The temps are about 55 celcius idle. I am using a Thermaltake Volcano. It is huge with a copper heat sink. I am also using Antec's silver compound. I took the fan and heatsink off and reset them to make sure they were sitting correctly. They are on the cpu properly. Any suggestions? I have the amd fan and I also have a coolermaster Aerocooler. Thanks in advance.
    Jerry

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

You don't say so I have to ask, is the wiring all neatly wrapped and allowing for air flow? Do you have more than just the power supply exhaust fan running? Any intake fan at the front? Other info that might help?

3. chewie1012

griffinspc,
    I am sorry for not including that info. I have two cables that are the round cable and one IDE. The power supply is an enlight with a fan, a vent in the bottom and in the front. There is a front case fan and a rear exhaust fan. It is 55 c with the door off. I thought well maybe you need to create the draft by having the system enclosed so I put the door on and the temp went up. I have tried connecting only the front or the rear fan thinking maybe they were interfering with the proper flow. No luck. I built a system recently with the Antec Aria case an xp 2800 using the factory stock fan and a pci cooler and it has an MSI micro atx mobo with an NVIDIA chipset and it runs very cool. I am wondering how much the chipset has to do with cooling? Any new ideas would be appreciated.
    Jerry

4. griffinspc

griffinspc

Hmm.... when you say vent do you actually mean a slotted or striped opening in the supply or by vent do you mean intake & exhaust fans venting? Are you positive the front fan is bringing air in (is it mounted correctly)? Do you mean a separate rear exhaust fan from the power supply fan?

Are you running any exotic heat generating vid card? Sorry for all the questions but if all is connected correctly CPU/heatsink and fan then I'd think you may have a faulty heatsink fan combo.

5. paul selhi

paul selhi

What is the problem with 55c idle ? Mine runs at that and this is well within the specs ( AMD XP2100)

On heavy 3d rendering i hit 59-60 c ...again no problems. As long as you don't go over the spec limits why worry ? You should have an auto shutdown prog with the MB that will kill all before the pro/MB melts

6. griffinspc

griffinspc

While it's true that his temps aren't at critical a constanf 55 C or 130 F isn't acceptable to me, others may differ. My main machine quoted in my signature runs constant at about 36 C or 97 F.

If it were me I'd see what trhe source of the heat was and try and reduce it. Parts wear out with heat and if it's brand new with no dust build ups, etc., what will the heat be in a year?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    CPU is 55, what is the mainboard temp or any of the other temps?

8. chewie1012

I think I have come to a conclusion to this problem. I have tried a million different things. I replaced the motherboard and case. I had different ones on hand. The motherboard I was using was pre amd xp 3000 processors. I had to update the bios just to get it recognized. The new motherboard was xp 3200 ready out of the box. I put a xp 1900 processor with the old motherboard and it is cool and working terrific. The new system is running all I mentioned earlier but with an antec case with a 120 mm fan in the back and a gigabyte motherboard with the thermaltake volcano fan. The temperature is 35 celcius with the fan at about half speed. This was what I expected originally with the system not under a load. I am in my basement and it is cool down here so the system should run cooler. The other system with the asus mobo is also running cool now that I put the xp 1900 mobo in it. Thanks so much.
    Jerry

9. griffinspc

griffinspc

Good to hear. :D You can mark this solved using the "Thread Tools" button Jerry.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324321

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice