1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: CPU starts then long beep, screen black, no response any ideas?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Foxtrot_01, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Foxtrot_01

Foxtrot_01 Thread Starter

Hello all,
    I have a HP desktop, several months ago the DVD-R started to give me problems, the DVD-R would try to open but it seemed it got stuck, I thought it was something to do with the DVD-R so I open it up and replace the DVD-R, when I connected it back again it just gave me a long beep and seemed to start loading, the screen was black, actually it seems like the screen was not connected at all since the power button on the screen stayed yellow instead of green. I removed the dvd-rom and left it without a dvd-rom, just rebooting from the harddrive and same thing, long beep, I tried changing the cable from the motherboard to the dvd-rom and nothing.
    any ideas?

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Please post the Model of the HP as read on the front of the case.

3. Foxtrot_01

sorry it is not a HP, its a Compaq Presario SR1817CL Athlon 64 3200+ 512MB 200GB DVD±R/±RW DL, wow I didnt know this was that old

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Try removing the Ram and reinstalling it. It may be that while working on the Optical drive problem you may have dislodged a Ram Module.

5. Foxtrot_01

I got it, it was one of the memory modules that was not working and was giving me an error.
    thanks

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Glad to hear you got it working.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915692

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice