1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: "CPU unworkable or has been changed"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Speakersrock, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Speakersrock

Speakersrock Thread Starter

Hi, I have recently been through a long line of problems with an old computer I am trying to bring back to life. I had got it working well, running windows 2000. Until one day I turned it on and on boot-up it said something about some changes, and that it had updated the coms, (I did not pay much attention to this and just pressed F1 to continue.)

This is where the trouble started, after hitting F1 it showed the screen Stating windows (This was normal) Then it stoped at the end and the computer froze, Then it rebooted itself.
    Now it says "CPU is unworkable or has been changed. Please recheck - CPU SOFT MENU" When i press F1 to continue, It goes through the same process i just described to you above.

Please help, any advise would be much apreciated, Thanks. :(

2. norton850

norton850

Go into BIOS (setup) and choose "default" or "optimal" settings. Save and exit. Anything change?

3. Speakersrock

Hi, sorry to report nothing changed. It still does the same process I explained eairlier.

4. Speakersrock

P.S
    I Just had a passing thought, in the process of fixing problems before this one occurred on the computer, i had to root around in the case quite a bit, Is there a possibility i might have knocked something slightly out of place to do with the CPU or something like that....Just a thought??

5. norton850

norton850

Yes, especially check the CPU and its heat sink and fan. Also try resetting CMOS with the MB jumper.

6. Speakersrock

Ok, thanks have tried that, That has now resolved the problem.

7. norton850

norton850

What did? The MB jumper?

8. Speakersrock

No it was just something around the CPU, I twiddled and checked everthing around the cpu, Including the heatsink and fan e.t.c. It must just have been a loose connection.
    Thanks again for your help norton850.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538888

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice