1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: CPU Upgrade 2B or not

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Delta869, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Delta869

Delta869 Thread Starter

Hi, I have a Dell 8300 w/Pentium 3gE Prescott, 4g of RAM running XP Pro. Am I going to see much of a difference upgading to a 3.4gE ?

2. Specsnow

Specsnow

Hi there,

You won't see much of a difference running XP. If you were running Vista, you would, but minimal at best. You could always consider overclocking to 3.4, which would be relatively safe because you wouldn't be increasing the temperature much, and seeing for sure what the difference would be. Since the FSB and cache sizes are both the same for those CPUs, the only difference you would see is in the actual speed of the cores. So try to overclock it first if you want a good idea, but I'd say not to.

Hope this helps.

3. Delta869

Delta869 Thread Starter

A bit wary about overclocking especially since I'm not sure how. I'll stick with what I have for now.

Thank you!

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You cannot overclock a dell.

Next the only difference you might see is on a benchmark. In real world use, you would not see any difference. In short, do not waste time or money doing this.

5. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

The processor has virtually always been 2+ times faster than anything else in the computer and, with the exceptions of gaming or math intensive applications such as video editing, is rarely being utilized to even a fraction of its potential speed.
    Hard disk drives, on the other hand, have tripled in speed since the 8300 was built and the cheapest way for many to speed up their system is to replace the drive with a faster one. You would not be able to use the fastest drives available today (SATA 300); but, ought to be able to double the data transfer rate if you still have the original drive.

6. Specsnow

Specsnow

I'm not sure if you did any research before you posted that, but the 8300 really isn't that old. In fact, it sports the 2nd generation SATA 150, which isn't that bad for a Dell machine. And also, I am not sure if you are aware, but Windows XP and Vista alike were built with a layer that is able to utilize the unused CPU resources and divert them to other places within the Windows kernel so that nothing is wasted. So any change in CPU speed will make a difference, just 400mhz won't make much when you already have over 3.0ghz already.

7. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

Ah; but the system shipped with an IDE drive, probbably delivering about 35-40MBPS and cloning that drive to a SATA 150 or newer, high performance IDE drive would kick that up to 60+. Since everything has to be read or written to that drive, its a 50% jump in performance of one of the slowest parts of the computer.
    That 3 GHZ CPU is good for about 650 million instruction per second so reading from that drive doesn't tax it at all (even with antivirus software and the system overhead it will only use about 20% of the CPU's capability if things are running right). If you want to speed up a system, first streamline it by knocking out the useless startup items, then address the slower parts second (internet, hard disk drive, video).
    What we didn't verify is if he has a 3.06GHZ cpu with a 533MHZ front side or a 3.0 with an 800. If he has the first, the CPU will help by upping the chipsets front side bus.
    Get SIW ( http://www.gtopala.com/ ) and look in the hardware section to find out.

8. Delta869

Delta869 Thread Starter

It came with an 80g SATA. I added a 400g SATA. I did look up in Device Manager and found IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers, listed are 2 Ultra ATA Storage controllers. Should there be a controller for SATA?

btw.. My resources/background are tweaked down to 19 processes at startup, I am planning to up the GPU to at least 256mb (best I can find for AGP). My system actually runs quite fast as is (for my taste), I'm just a bit of an upgrading junky.

Thank you for the imput, I'll leave this open a bit longer if there is anymore.

9. Delta869

Delta869 Thread Starter

Also btw... 3.0ghz & FSB is 4x200mhz

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757152

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice