1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: CPU Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheVaLo, Feb 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TheVaLo

TheVaLo Thread Starter

Hello everyone.

I have a Pentium 4 2.4GHz processor and a Compaq 07e8h motherboard.
    Since this CPU is weak, I think I should upgrade to another CPU. Now I am asking is my motherboard (Compaq 07E8H) compatible with this CPU: IntelĀ® PentiumĀ® 4 Processor 3.20GHz

As I see it's FSB Speed that is different, and the socket PPGA and mine is mPGA

2. Crazy10

Crazy10

Since the FSB speed is higher than the one in there, it will downclock itself to 1.1Ghz. I've experienced this sadly the hard way!

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the model name and model number of that Compaq desktop?

What's the part/product number(P/N) on it?

(It appears to be about a 2002-era model)

-----------------------------------------------------------

4. prunejuice

prunejuice

I wouldn't spend money on an upgrade like this.

Your performance gain will be negligible.

5. TheVaLo

TheVaLo Thread Starter

I thought upgrading it to the new CPU, will give me a little performance more, but...

@flavalle it's compaq evo d510 MT Base Model
    @Crazy10 so upgrading it will be downclocked and it will run at lower speed?

@prunejuice I am trying to upgrade this pc a little bit, even though I'll get another one, I need to upgrade this a little bit.

6. Crazy10

Crazy10

Yes because the FSB in the new processor is higher than what is supported in the motherboard!

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That was a budget system when built approx 13yrs ago. In no way is it worth putting any money into upgrading. If you received the cpu for nothing, then it might be worth the time to install the cpu.

Just because the cpu is the same socket ie 478 or whatever does not mean it is going to run on that mb. The bios must have the correct microcode to run the cpu, set the correct vcore, etc. I doubt even hp can tell you if the cpu you are asking about will work; it is too old and I doubt anyone has access to mb specs any longer. [At least not without doing an extensive search which I do not think anyone is going to do for you]

In short, if you got the cpu for nothing, it might be worth attempting the upgrade however if it costs anything, it is NOT worth putting any money into that system.

8. TheVaLo

TheVaLo Thread Starter

Yeah, thank you both.
    I've got it free and that's why I am searching for how-to's; etc.
    However, thanks.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143510

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice