Solved: CPU Usage and Kernel Processor Usage.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

aarhus2004

Gone but always remembered
Hello,

After a couple of hours search and read I am unable to find a definitive answer to the question as to whether the two subject terms are identical.

If anyone has absolute certainty about this I would appreciate your posting.

Thanks.

The kernel is the central control program that runs your operating system, the program that runs the other programs. Every operating system (e.g. Windows XP, Linux, MacOS) has a kernel, it's like the brains behind the whole thing.

aarhus2004

Arcadion said:
The kernel is the central control program that runs your operating system, the program that runs the other programs. Every operating system (e.g. Windows XP, Linux, MacOS) has a kernel, it's like the brains behind the whole thing.
Thanks for the response Acadion.

The kernel is a program. The CPU is a chip? Does the CPU contain the kernel program?

System Monitor refers to Kernel Processor Usage (%).

A freeware monitor, say, Process Explorer from:

http://www.sysinternals.com/win9x/98utilities.shtml

refers to CPU Usage (%)

I find disagreement between these two monitors IF they are reading the same thing. Hence my question - is "Kernel Processor Usage" the same, in terms of what it points to, as "CPU Usage"?

Thanks.

The CPU is a chip, it's the physical device that does all the work. The kernel is the first program that loads when Windows starts up, and it's the kernel that's in charge of running all the applications (e.g. Internet Explorer, MS Word, Half Life) that you run. The CPU usage %age tells you how busy the CPU is, the kernel usage tells you how much of the CPU's power is being used by the kernel program, as opposed to the other programs (IE, Word etc.).

aarhus2004

Got it Arcadion. Bloody marvelous. I appreciate your hanging in there with me on this.

All the best. (y)

First Name
Joe

aarhus2004

GoJoAGoGo said:
Yes this does make sense.

But what is still confusing me is the differences between System Monitor programs giving you entirely different reading. For example these two Sytem Monitors linked before will give you identical CPU Usage % readings:
http://www.niresoft.com/tm.asp
http://www.tiler.com/freemeter/

And this System Monitor program will give you a totally opposite CPU Usage % reading:
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml
Hello Joe,

The first two freewares you mention (ex niresoft.com and tiler.com) give the same readings as each other and also the same reading as System Monitor. In the former two these readings are labeled as CPU Usage(%) and in the latter Kernel Processor Usage(%).

The sysinternals.com freeware yields a quite different result and labels it, under the heading 'CPU', and against the % amount it calls it 'Idle'.

I have two thoughts about this. The first one being, that if Microsoft's labeling of the reading/value appearing in its System Monitor is correct then the labels given to the identical readings/values by the Niresoft and Tiler freewares are incorrect.

The second thought is that there is something yet to be explained.

Best I can presently do, Joe.

First Name
Joe
aarhus2004 said:
Hello Joe,

The first two freewares you mention (ex niresoft.com and tiler.com) give the same readings as each other and also the same reading as System Monitor. In the former two these readings are labeled as CPU Usage(%) and in the latter Kernel Processor Usage(%).

The sysinternals.com freeware yields a quite different result and labels it, under the heading 'CPU', and against the % amount it calls it 'Idle'.

I have two thoughts about this. The first one being, that if Microsoft's labeling of the reading/value appearing in its System Monitor is correct then the labels given to the identical readings/values by the Niresoft and Tiler freewares are incorrect.

The second thought is that there is something yet to be explained.

Best I can presently do, Joe.
I'll have to lean towards your second thought.

Perhaps using some other System Monitors to find out what results we get may be another approach to take.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online