1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: cpu usage driving to 100 percent when starting IE 5.5

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by welserda, Dec 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. welserda

welserda Thread Starter

I received two w32 magistr viri yesterday morning. They were caught and "neutralized" by Norton anti-virus sw. I did not delete the emails as I thought they were safe ( and they may have been so). Later in the day I went out and left the computer running but NOT on the net. When I tried to get back on the net IE 5.5 did not complete the load of my ISP home(AT&T). I checked with norton sys doctor and noted that cpu utilization was at 100 percent. I was able to kill off IE 5 and do mail and get ebay up but still could not get to AT&T home site.
    I went after the system with Norton anti virus and finally got a note that my boot record had been changed so I took their recommended route and replaced it.
    Still no sign of a virus.worm etc.. Am I still infected? Could one of the viri cause cpu usage to max out?
    Any thoughts??

Dave

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Magistr has a habit of putting things in the startup list that scan clean (because they are legitimate windows files, usually renamed) but do not belong there.

The best way for us to get a look at what magistr may have done is to download the startuplog.zip file from the Reticulated Toys site below.

Unzip and run startuplog.com. It will place a copy of startuplog.txt file on the desktop. Copy and paste the full contents of that (not stubbpaths.txt) in your next reply. An unzipped version is available if necessary from the Only IE link at the bottom of the page.

http://home.earthlink.net/~rmbox/Reticulated/Toys.html

As a workaround in the mean time, do a ctrl alt del and look for applications in the background that you do not recognize and end task them.

rnaapp wil be the windows dialup adapter, explorer and systray are standard. Leave any open browser windows you are currently on

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63681

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice