1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: CPU Won't boot with 4 gigs ram installed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by markss106, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. markss106

markss106 Thread Starter

I recently built my computer but I am having problems getting it to boot with 4 gigs of ram installed. This is a brand new setup with a Intel D975XBX2 board and a E6750 core 2 duo processor and XP Pro OS. The memory I have installed is Corsair CM2X1024-6400C4 WITH VOLTAGE SET AT 2.1. This boots up very well every time but when I try to add 2 more sticks for a total of 4 gigs it will not boot at all. I know all the memory is good because it will boot on either set of memory. Also is the 4 gigs an overkill or should I just stick with 2 gigs. Computer is not for gaming.

Thank for any help

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

markss I had the same problem with a dual core and vista system. After reading a lot of posts in here I figured I would I was safer to just use the two Gigs and set the other two aside until I figured out whether it was me or my system. Vista tends to appreciate 2 Gigs and a high powered Video Card, but unless you're running games I think you'll be happy with the 2 Gigs on XP.
    I've heard that some folks use 3 Gigs an it works but am waiting to hear from more than just 1 or 2 folks regarding the 4 Gigs.
    So far as not booting with the 4 Gigs, I have to be honest and I'll be watching this thread to see if someone else knows the fix. Let us know what happens...Jazz

3. Waldo_II

Waldo_II

If you are not going to do gaming, the extra two gigs is really overkill. Like, major overkill. If you plan on running ten instances of Firefox, a couple 3-D modeling programs, and every program in the MS Office 2007 suite simultaneously, then you may need more than two gigs.

What message do you get at boot-up (assuming there is one)? Also, when I was adding RAM to my machine, if I turned off "Memory Hole Remapping" in the BIOS it wouldn't boot up, but when I turned it on, it worked. Does your BIOS have that option?

4. markss106

markss106 Thread Starter

MY bios boes not have an option for memory hole mapping.I want to thank you guys for your help. I'm going to stay with 2 gigs ram.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646173

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice