1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: CPUZ Shows 6GB ram, Task manager shows 2gb ram

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gregory1234, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gregory1234

Gregory1234 Thread Starter

Hi, Recently i've noticed my system is only using 2gb of ram and is running really slowly. I run a Rampage III Motherboard with 6gb of ripjaw ram. However only 2gb of ram is being used for some reason.
    I read a bit about going into the bios and looking for a "memory remapping" setting but there was not one.
    I also unchecked the box for max memory in msconfig > boot > advanced options.

Any suggestions would be great!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

The system will not use much more than 2.5 GB's of RAM no matter how much you have installed.

Do you mean that only 2 GB's is being used (normal) or that Task Manger says that you only hve a total of 2 GB's?

You can increase memory usage somewhat with this command:

fsutil behavior set memoryusage 2

1 is the default. Only 1 and 2 are valid.

3. Gregory1234

I entered the command, will there be a place i can check if it works? do i need to restart my computer for it to take affect?
    Also my CPUZ shows now that i have 4gb but i know i have 3 sticks of 2gb ram in there. My windows task manager also shows 4gb total now.
    I have 6 ram slots in my motherboard and i have it set out so the ram sticks are in the red sockets, the pattern is black, red, black, red, black, red.
    Is this correct?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

It depends which end you start from, but you could try all black. Check BIOS, too, to see if all the RAM is recognized and for other RAM settings that may be there (Sorry, but all BIOS differ, so I can't be more explicit).

Make sure all the sticks are seated properly. It sounds like one isn't right now.

Also check with other tools, too, and never rely on just one. They make mistakes, measure the wrong things sometimes, and so on. It's always good to have a second opinion.

PCWizard[​IMG]

5. Gregory1234

You wouldn't happen to know under which field it would tell me how much ram is recognised?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

In PCW, click the computer icon under hardware and then the Physical Memory line. The modules, manufacturers, their speed, and more will be shown in the bottom pane.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1031686

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice