1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] crash

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by monted, Sep 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. monted

monted Thread Starter

I recently built this computer. It was getting too hot so I installed a chassis fan,12 volts. When I got up this morning the computer was off and when I try to start it, it shuts itself down before anything comes up on the screen. What should I do first?

2. zeddy

zeddy

take the chassis fan off, open the case up and start it up.

3. monted

monted Thread Starter

it still does the same, I unplugged it.

4. zeddy

zeddy

Check you did not displodge any of the connectors, ribbons or components - check that the video card and memory are seated properly.

Does the computer give off any beeps before shutting down?

5. monted

monted Thread Starter

I checked the connections,the computer has been running good for 2 months. No beeps, no post. I think it is shuting itself down for some reason.

6. monted

monted Thread Starter

I installed the chassis fan about a week ago.

7. n2gun

n2gun

Try disconnecting the drives and see if it will boot to a prompt. It may be that something is drawing to much power (ie going bad). Also if you have more than one stick of memory, try with just one and then with another. You could also clear the cmos.

8. Rockn

Rockn

If it is powering off right away it is probably that your CPU is overheating. Check the CPU fan to make sure it is spinning.

9. monted

monted Thread Starter

I disconnected everything but the hard drive and it boots. One stick of memory. Did not clear the CMOS.I have two opticals and a floppy. Is this crappy Duro PS crapping out?

BTW Happy Birthday! Mine's 9-11

10. monted

monted Thread Starter

the CPU fan is spinning.

11. BTex

BTex

Did you plug the new fan into the power supply or the motherboard?

Some bios's have a place to disable fan speeds and temps the temp may be set to low?
    Just some thoughts

12. n2gun

n2gun

Monted
    Happy Birthday to you also. mine was the 9th.

What is the wattage of the power supply?

13. monted

monted Thread Starter

400W power supply,but i think it's a cheapo. I am replying from this comp, it's works right now. I have all but the HDD unplugged,and I put the memory back in.

14. n2gun

n2gun

Start hooking things up one at a time until it stops. It may be you have one bad component that is causing it to crash. When it stops unhook that item and continue to rehook the rest. At 400 watts you should not be having a problem with the power supply as almost all computers will run with just 300 or 350 supplies without a problem.

15. monted

monted Thread Starter

Ive been hooking up one thing at a time and letting it run for awhile. I'll let you know.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164473

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice