[SOLVED] crash

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

monted

I recently built this computer. It was getting too hot so I installed a chassis fan,12 volts. When I got up this morning the computer was off and when I try to start it, it shuts itself down before anything comes up on the screen. What should I do first?

Check you did not displodge any of the connectors, ribbons or components - check that the video card and memory are seated properly.

Does the computer give off any beeps before shutting down?

monted

I checked the connections,the computer has been running good for 2 months. No beeps, no post. I think it is shuting itself down for some reason.

Try disconnecting the drives and see if it will boot to a prompt. It may be that something is drawing to much power (ie going bad). Also if you have more than one stick of memory, try with just one and then with another. You could also clear the cmos.

If it is powering off right away it is probably that your CPU is overheating. Check the CPU fan to make sure it is spinning.

monted

I disconnected everything but the hard drive and it boots. One stick of memory. Did not clear the CMOS.I have two opticals and a floppy. Is this crappy Duro PS crapping out?

BTW Happy Birthday! Mine's 9-11

Did you plug the new fan into the power supply or the motherboard?

Some bios's have a place to disable fan speeds and temps the temp may be set to low?
Just some thoughts

Monted
Happy Birthday to you also. mine was the 9th.

What is the wattage of the power supply?

monted

400W power supply,but i think it's a cheapo. I am replying from this comp, it's works right now. I have all but the HDD unplugged,and I put the memory back in.

Start hooking things up one at a time until it stops. It may be you have one bad component that is causing it to crash. When it stops unhook that item and continue to rehook the rest. At 400 watts you should not be having a problem with the power supply as almost all computers will run with just 300 or 350 supplies without a problem.

monted

Ive been hooking up one thing at a time and letting it run for awhile. I'll let you know.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online