[SOLVED] Crashes under Win 2000 when multi tasking, playing games and watching DVDs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chrisporter

PC:
Athlon 1.2ghz 266 FSB
Asus A7A266 Motherboard
256 DDR Ram
40gig IBM Deskstar HD
Artec 16x40 DVD
Plextor 16x10x40 CDR
32mb ATI Xpert 2000 Graphics card

Win 2000 Service Pack 2

I have just built two PCs of the same spec as above, but one without a CDR drive. The one without the Plextor drive works fine. The second PC however is having problems.

The BIOS and win 2000 only report 128mb of RAM. I have tried swapping slots but this has not helped. The label on the side of the chip reads 256mb. When in windows, when doing anything resource hungry (multi-tasking, watching DVDs, playing Max Payne) the computer brings up a blue screen briefly, which seems to include something like 'physical dump', but its too quick to read. The system then resets itself.

I believe this is a problem with the RAM, and have contacted the retailer to return it. However speaking to friend early today, he said he has the same sort of problem and solved it by upgrading his power supply to 250 watt. My PSU is only 230 watt.

Has anyone had similiar problems? Is it that I don't have enough power for the board and drives? Any help would be much appreciated.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi chrisporter, welcome to TSG.

I would highly recommend a larger power supply.

chrisporter

Thanks, sounds like a new PSU may b the way. I'll test it tonight by removing the power to the CDR drive and see what happens.

chrisporter

I have now tried unplugging my CDR. These seemed to work as my memory now shows up as 256mb. However, it just crashed again, with the same blue screen.

Is this still a power problem, becasue this did not happen at all with the other PC with the same spec?

chrisporter

More info:

The blue screen that it flicks up before reseting just hung so I was able to write down what it said:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***STOP: 0x00000002 (0x00000007, 0x00000B8A, 0xE28E9AC0, 0xE28E9AC8)

Beginning dump of physical memory

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any ideas?

chrisporter

Just got and installed my new 300 watt PSU and I still had the same problems, so that eliminated the power as the source of the problem. I then went back to my original hunch that it was a problem with the RAM. I downloaded a prog called 'Memtest', which showed up my RAM as faulty. This was the cause of all my problems!

Thanks for the help.

chrisporter

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online