1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Crashing: Image Viewing

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dr43g0s, Jul 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dr43g0s

dr43g0s Thread Starter

Basically, my computer has been randomly crashing for a while now. It was intermittent and I at first didn't notice a pattern. Tonight has made it all too clear.

When viewing images my computer crashes. It started when I was editing some files in Photoshop. Opening a folder and scrolling through the folder (100ish images in the folder) I would get near the bottom of the list and the computer would simply restart itself without preamble. This was able to be replicated ad nauseum.

I updated my bios, display card drivers, and all windows updates possible.

We went surfing on the web and a lot of people had some helpful hints. "It's photoshop (or some versions of it)," they said. Nevermind I've been doing photo editing on my computer for over a year no problems. Nevertheless, always the willing participant, I uninstalled all adobe creative suite products. I opened the folder directly in windows explorer and *crash* into me my OS did.

"It's corrupt thumbs.db files" another helpful forum poster determined. I removed all thumbs.db files from my computer, and turned off thumbnails in Folder Options, opting for 'Always show icons, never thumbnails.' So I opened my new list/detail of images and double clicked one to preview the image.

Success! The computer didn't die! Excited beyond measure I forwarded my way through several previews when suddenly *CRASH!*

Disheartened, but filled with determination I again hit the web. "You simply have a corrupt image file," someone offered. No problem! I deleted the file that my comp was loading when the crash occured. Jubilant at having finally squashed the offending file I reopened the folder, clicked on the first image to preview again and began scrolling through the first part of the list, filled with images that had properly loaded last time when one of those pesky buggers decided that this time it WASN'T going to load properly. Oh no. One of the pictures that I had easily viewed not ten minutes before now causes my computer to restart again.

Please GOD someone have some insight. It has gotten unbearable. I literally cannot safely view images on my computer any longer. And it hurts. It hurts oh so bad.

2. dr43g0s

dr43g0s Thread Starter

Bump. Please, any info would be helpful.

3. Hughv

Hughv

What computer, OS and hardware specs?
    Does this machine crash under any other circumstances?
    Can you view images using other imaging programs?
    Look in Event Viewer for red entries under System and Application.
    Open the case and ensure all fans are running and the fans and heat sink are dust-free.
    Run chkdsk /r on this drive.

4. dr43g0s

dr43g0s Thread Starter

=============================================================
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium , 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 530 @ 2.93GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8126 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series , 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 476837 MB, Free - 307596 MB; M: Total - 953866 MB, Free - 568600 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P7H55-M PRO, Rev 1.xx, MT7002K05801423
    Antivirus: Norton 360, Updated and Enabled
    =============================================================

No, it doesn't crash under other circumstances.

As far as other imaging programs, photoshop viewing reset the computer, windows explorer viewing resets, media center slideshow resets. Unsure of other potential programs. I can try any suggested programs if it would help.

From all the testing last night there are several red entries in the Event Viewer. The errors themselves are generic in description such as "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." However, each error is preceeded by a weird "File System Filter 'BHDrvx64' (6.1, ‎2011‎-‎05‎-‎12T17:05:27.000000000Z) has successfully loaded and registered with Filter Manager." and the red event is followed by "Processor 0 in group 0 exposes the following: 2 idle state(s)." If there's a way to give you a more succinct or informative event log history please let me know and I'll gladly post it.

I already completely removed all components from the case, ensured it was clean (I clean it out once every two weeks religiously anyway) and was able to continuously replicate the problem afterwards.

Will run another chkdsk tonight to double verify the first check.

5. Hughv

Hughv

From another forum:
    "I guess the problem is casued by Symantec Heuristics Driver (BHDrvx64.sys). Remove your Symantec and see whether that makes any difference. "
    Google "BHDrvx64.sys" for more.

6. dr43g0s

dr43g0s Thread Starter

Chkdsk came back with zero errors. I'd love to uninstall my Norton 360 to test it, but the problem is that the company is soulless and won't allow me to redownload the program claiming I didn't purchase "download insurance." So even though the PC is registered with them, and I have 9 months left on my subscription, there isn't a way from them to allow me to redownload the damned program I paid $90 for. If I knew it would fix the problem then screw them and yeah I'd do it. But if I uninstall it to troubleshoot and it turns out to still be restarting my comp then I'm out $90. Is there anything else that might be causing this before I light money on fire?

7. Rockn

Rockn

Are you sure it is only image directories causing the crashing? Browse any other directory like the Windows directory and scroll to the bottom. Try booting into safe mode and see if hte same problems continue. If everything is fine in Safe mode there is probably a driver or hardware issue.

8. Hughv

Hughv

Norton 360 would be no loss at all.
    Uninstall it, get MSE and don't look back.

9. dr43g0s

dr43g0s Thread Starter

Norton uninstalled. Still restarts. Is there a way to succinctly get you guys a copy of the event log and see if you can figure it out? It's gibberish and nothing seems "critical." This is driving me freaking bananas. Can't even open my image folders. It's been replicated across mutliple drives and different folders but always those containing thumbails of images or "previews" of images.

10. Hughv

Hughv

Try Rockn's Safe Mode suggestion.

11. dr43g0s

dr43g0s Thread Starter

Multiple confirmations that the restarts occur in folders containing images with thumbnails even in safe mode. Tried several folders. And sorry if I wasn't clear. Other folders with simple files or other file types excluding image thumbnails do not causing the crashing.

12. dr43g0s

dr43g0s Thread Starter

The only other repetitive warning the event log gives is "The driver \Driver\GEARAspiWDM failed to load for the device DTSOFTBUS&Rev1\DTCDROM&Rev1\1&79f5d87&0&00."

13. Hughv

Hughv

14. dr43g0s

dr43g0s Thread Starter

Awesome info, thanks! I tried to find some information on how to delete files that are in use. Tried it in safemode as well but no matter what I can't delete the files. The error message is stating that they are currently in use by Explorer and cannot be deleted at this time.

I'll keep looking for a way to delete those pesky files so the db can rebuild itself.

15. dr43g0s

dr43g0s Thread Starter

Basically, now I'm trying to get to the dir in cmd with explorer.exe terminated so that I can delete the files without that pesky "in use" error. Can't seem to get to the folders in cmd to delete them. Is there another way to delete the files in that directory?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!