1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Create Publisher addin w/ VS 2005

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by Zack Barresse, Jan 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse Thread Starter

I'm trying to make a Publisher addin because I'm just plain sick of it's Object Model. If it were more adept like Excel's Object Model this would be a breeze (hehe - j/k).

I have Visual Studio 2005 (received it as a gift within this last year (y) .. but have yet to be proficient with it) to create the addin. I'm having a difficult time getting my feet off the ground here. I think I could use a little guidance. If I could get the first few steps down here I could take the rest of it away I think.

Anybody do anything like this before? Thanks for reading this. :)

2. Zack Barresse

3. cristobal03

cristobal03

Hey Zack,

What kind of add-in are you after? Or are you looking for general information on how to hook your program into Publishers Object Model?

Here's a Microsoft Knowledge Base article pertaining to VB 6.0, but I imagine the principle is pretty similar. That might get you started.

I believe the idea behind add-ins is, always work with objects that are bound at run-time, because you'll want it to be as portable as possible (in theory--though your particular issue is with Publisher). Actually, that's more of a guess on my part, but it seems practical to me.

You'll also want to make sure that the properties of the Publisher objects support the type of manipulation you want to do with the add-in.

I don't know, I got nothin'. I've never ported my common routines to add-in status.

GL, if I think I can add anything more I'll post back.

chris.

4. Zack Barresse

Thanks Chris.

I guess the biggest problem (I think) I am facing, is being able to work with the Publisher Application object. In the COM references there are items for reference for every other office application (on it's own) except Publisher. The only reference there is the reference for all Office xx.0 Object Libraries. And I keep getting errors when I just specify Application.object.

I can reference Excel and get access to the Excel Object Model very easily. I'm not sure if I'm having a tough time in Publisher because of it's under-developed Object Model or if I just don't know the correct way to do it. (Or both!)

Thanks for taking a look at this Chris. I appreciate your time and feedback. :)

5. cristobal03

cristobal03

What version of Publisher do you have?

Have you seen these articles?

7 Things Developers Should Know About the Publisher 2003 Object Model, Part 1
    7 Things Developers Should Know About the Publisher 2003 Object Model, Part 2
    Publisher 2003: Using the NewDocument and DocumentOpen Events

I just realized I have Publisher 2000 on my workstation, so I can play around. I have a feeling you have Publisher 2000 as well, or else you wouldn't be missing the application object. If that's the case, and it was just recently added to the object model, I'll see what else I can come up with.

But I just got tasked with a project that will take me the weekend, so. I'll see what I can find in the meantime.

chris.

6. Zack Barresse

Thanks Chris,

I've seen the first two but not the last one. I'll research it. I have 2000 but just got 2003 at my work pc. I'll see what I can work up. If I get anywhere, I'll post the results. :)

7. Zack Barresse

I got it done! Ended up having to get VB6 and do it .. but it's done nonetheless. :D

Thanks everyone for all your help!!

8. cristobal03

cristobal03

(y) Well done, man. And with that, your VB skills surpass mine by miles :)

chris.

9. Zack Barresse

Heh, I don't know about that. It was very simple actually. The scope of what I know is fairly narrow, especially when it comes to VB (good lord even more with VB.NET).

But I do really, really appreciate all the input and for sticking with me. That means a lot to me. Thanks!! :D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431583

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice