1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Create table of contents links in Word XP

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by daverose808, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daverose808

daverose808 Thread Starter

using Word XP,
    how do u create a table of contents.
    i have a bunch of paragraphs that have a title on top, like this:

YYYYYY

xxxxxx
    xxxxxx

YYYYYY

yyyyy
    yyyyy

i want to be able to have at the top of all that, a page that has this:

XXXXXX
    YYYYYYY

and the above would be links, so that when u clicked on either of the above, you would be sent directly to the corresponding page.

could u please guide me through this process? thank you!

2. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    When you use the heading styles to format the document you can then use "Insert">>"Index and Tables">>"Table of Contents" from the menu bar to place a table of contents with hyperlinks already established.

If you do not know how to use heading styles then feel free to let me know.

3. daverose808

ive tried messing around with heading styles, but never got it to make sense. if u could cut and paste some instructions that u may have, id greatly appreciate it!

4. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Are all of the Xs and Ys formatted the same way?

5. daverose808

6. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Do you have a hierarchy setup? Here is what I am envisioning. Main topics will be using Heading level 1. So I would take the Heading Level 1 style and have it formatted based upon the format you used for main topics before. I then would have it replace all the manual formatting you did before. I would then proceed to your sub topics and change Heading level 2 to represent those. For long documents it can save you hours upon hours if you use styles. Can you post your document so I can see it and walk you through it? If you replace your data with some fake data, then that will be fine as well as long as I know what is a main topic or sub topic.

7. daverose808

sure (especially since i really dont understand your comments, eg, hierarchy!)...
    basically i am making a collection of PC tips that i have collected from various sources to give to my family, since they are all worse at computers than i am... i have attached a sample of it... thank you...

Attached Files:

8. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    I am taking a look at it now. Hierarchy means structure or a breakdown. So your parents are above you in a hierarchy and your kids if you have any will be below you.

9. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Here is the document with the table of contents already inserted (placed) within the document. You will notice that the main sections are using the heading 1 style, so basically it is the top tier in your hierarchy and all the topics within are using heading 2. Beside the font list you will notice a style list. This is one way you can apply styles as you are creating your document. The very first icon on the formatting toolbar is called "Style and Formatting." I personally use this to change, create and apply styles to long document.

10. daverose808

i dont see any attachment... sorry!

11. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    Hmm let me try again.

Attached Files:

12. daverose808

thank you!

13. jimr381

jimr381

First Name:
    Jim
    But the key thing is, can you do it again if you need a Table of Contents. Try going through the steps I told you about and make sure you understand. If not come back here and post and I will walk you through them again.

14. daverose808

thats so funny, i just tried doing it myself with the rest of the document and i couldnt figure it out.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701363

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice