1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Creating a New Partition

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DexterDave, Nov 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DexterDave

DexterDave Thread Starter

Hi All

I want to create a new partition to load Linux on it (on my Windows 7 system). Now I currently have a C-drive(Windows), a D-Drive(80GB) and an E-Drive(400MB). Now how do I create a new partition for Linux, without using the windows cd and booting from it? Can I use Virtual Hard Disk(VHD)?

Thanks

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Those extra drives are your DVD-equivalent, the way you would repair or restore Windows. If you make any changes to partitions, you will lose access to recovery. If you have recovery disks, that would work, too.

What version do you want to used of a Linux-based OS? There may be alternatives, including a virtual machine. Linux Live USB Creator would let you run a Linux-based OS from a USB stick. You could boot it from the stick, or even run it inside Windows in VirtualBox, the best of both worlds.

If you wanted to use Ubuntu, for example, you could use WUBI. It creates a virtual drive inside Windows and Ubuntu is installed to that. It sets up a dual-boot menu and Ubuntu boots and runs from that virtual drive exactly the way it would from a regular drive. You would never know from within Ubuntu that anything was unusual. But no changes need to be made to your real partitions. When sick of Ubuntu, it can be uninstalled within Windows and the drive deleted.

You really should have a complete system backup since with the setup you have, when the hard drive fails, you will lose Windows, too, so you won't even be able to put it on a new drive.

3. DexterDave

"Those extra drives are your DVD-equivalent, the way you would repair or restore Windows. If you make any changes to partitions, you will lose access to recovery". By that you mean a windows backup should be stored in one of those non-primary partitions? And yes, I want to install latest version of Ubuntu, 11.10. Now I downloaded it and burned it to a bootable cd. Now as I understand it you can't download Wubi as a file and burn it as a bootable cd right? need to install it directly from the internet with the installer? Can I choose on which drive the Ubuntu Linux virtual drive will be created or does it have to be on the windows drive C ?

Thanks for your help. Appreciate it.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

WUBI will let you create the drive where you want, I believe. WUBI is limited to one of the Ubuntu fmily right now, but they are very popular which makes them well-supported and there are good forums for them, too. I'm pretty sure that if you have the Ubuntu ISO file, you don't need to download it to install it again. But it has been a while since I used it.

Try Linux Live USB Creator. It will download the distro for you and install it to a USB stick if you want to try USB.

When I talked about a Windows or drive backup, I meant one that is not on the drive so it can be used to restore your system when the drive fails. An external drive, a secondary internal drive, or even DVD's (though that is less convenient and you are less likely to keep up-to-date backups, and it could take quite a few of them) are possibilities. You can even store an image online if you have a place and a fast connection.

Free drive backup software (imaging, cloning, and archiving):

Paragon Backup & Recovery (Recovery boot CD or USB key)
    Macrium Reflect (Free)
    O&O Disk Image Express
    Easeus Todo Backup
    Redo Backup & Recovery (Boot CD)
    Comodo Time Machine (Complete system, files, programs, and settings restoration, but not "bare-metal" for failed drive)
    Clonezilla Live (A bootable CD of Debian with Clonezilla.)
    Drive Image XML
    PING (Partimage is not Ghost) (Boot CD with option Clam Antivirus)
    Partition Saving
    Clonezilla

There are also many commercial products with more features.

5. DexterDave

cool man, thanks a lot

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!