1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Creating RAID 0 with SAS hard drives (help!)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BillyGman, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BillyGman

BillyGman Thread Starter

I will be installing four SAS type hard drives (Serial Attached SCSI hard drives)into a desktop PC and I will be creating a RAID 0 array. But because they're SAS type hard drives, I will need to use a RAID controller card which I have purchased also since there isn't any motherboard that I know of that can run SAS type hard drives without a RAID controller card plugged into it (correct me if I'm wrong about that). So the RAID controller card will be plugged into one of the PCI-e expansion slots on this motherboard, and the SAS type hard drives will be plugged directly into that same RAID controller card, and NOT into the SATA connectors on the motherboard since the hard drives are NOT SATA type drives, they're SAS drives. I will be installing Windows 7 64-bit Home Edition O/S on this PC. When the installation begins, Windows will ask me for the RAID driver files, but do I need to install the RAID files from the RAID controller card manufacture ONLY, and not the RAID driver files from the ASUS motherboard too? These hard drives will NOT be directly plugged into the motherboard, but will be plugged into the RAID controller card which will be plugged into one of the motherboard PCI-E slots. Please understand that if it weren't for the Adaptec RAID controller card that I will be using for this PC, I would NOT be able to create any RAID array at all with the motherboard alone since the only RAID array possible with the motherboard alone would be provided through the SATA II connectors that this motherboard has. The hard drives would then have to be plugged into those SATA II connectors on the motherboard in order for any RAID array to be created. But I wouldn't be able to do that with these SAS type hard drives.

So the RAID 0 array that I will be setting up for this PC will be accomplished with the RAID controller card, and NOT via the motherbaord itself. Here's my question: I believe that I will NOT need to supply the Windows O/S with the RAID driver files from the motherboard software disc, but only with the RAID driver files from the RAID controller card manufacture's software disc. Am I correct on this? I'm thinking that if I give Windows the RAID driver files from both the RAID card as well as from the motherboard too, that there will be a software conflict of some sort. But I'm not quite sure what I'll need to do. Please guide me. Do I need to give the operating system both RAID driver files, or just the one from the RAID controller card? BTW, this is not a server type motherboard. FWIW, it's an ASUS M4A89GTD motherboard I'll be using. Please help.

2. BillyGman

BillyGman Thread Starter

Nobody??? C'mon guys. There has to be someone here who knows about using SAS (Serial Attached SCSI) hard drives in a RAID array. Please help!

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You need to load the drivers for the controller card. Hopefully you bought a quality card like a promise or highpoint controller card and not a cheapie card.

FWIW this is really asking for problems; 4 drives in raid0. If any one of the drives has a problem, you loose ALL data on the array. I am assuming you have some type of backup plan ie imaging the array to a NAS, network share, etc.

4. BillyGman

BillyGman Thread Starter

I'm poretty new to this stuff. I bought an Adaptec model 5445 card. I sure hope that it isn't a "cheapie" cuz it cost me $570.00 but it does have DDR2 512 mem. Thanks for the heads up about the RAID 0 array. I realize what the shortcomings and risks are with that. I've set up and used RAID 0 arrays before, but only with SATA hard drives, which were hooked directly into the motherboard, without the use of a RAID controller card. So this Adaptec RAID controller card adds a whole new challenge for me in the way of configuring the RAID array and loading the O/S. I also have never used Windows & yet, and this will also be a first for me during this build. Hopefully, Windows 7 makes things a little easier with this RAID thing. Time will tell.

So I understand what RAID 0 is, and it's shortcomings. I just want speed. And this is not for my business. I loomat this the same way I do my old 1970 Muscle car that I'm building for drag racing. It's just hotrod stuff. I appreciate your warnings and reply.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you want speed, then go with ssd. I used to have a raid0 array [2 high performance raptors] The ssd I have blows away the old raid array. It would cost you a fraction of what you have spent on a controller card and drives; about $150 or so for a high end ssd plus one hard drive for games, etc.

Here is an example of a ssd that will have better performance than your raid array at a small fraction of the cost.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227550

6. BillyGman

BillyGman Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up. I'll consider those for my next build, but I'm kinda commited to this hardware that I already have now. I'm not completely sold on the SSD raves just yet either, but besides that, I noticed that your comparison was of the SSD vs. the Raptors, but Raptors are SATA drives, and I'm using SAS drives this time. They're different than SATA as I'm sure that you're aware of. I have Fujitsu SAS drives which are supposed to have some of the fastest write speeds around (faster than the Raptors). And because they're supposed to be enterprise class drives which businesses use, they're supposed to last alot longer than SSD's are as far as I know. So there appears to be some trade-offs as with most things. BTW, I happen to have four Raptors in another PC that I built. Anyways, I guess this thread has served it's purpose. Thanks again for answering my question about the RAID drivers.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!