1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Creating System Recovery Disks W7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by sistafatti, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sistafatti

sistafatti Thread Starter

I recently purchased a new computer with Windows7 and no where in the setup process was i instructed to create system recovery disks. I have now loaded all of my programs, printer, scanner etc and thought perhaps I better take care of creating the system recovery disks before I forgot. When I started the process, the first thing I saw was a statement"

It is important to create the system recovery disks before using your computer

Just how important is that step? I have had the computer for one week so of course have used it to register software, create some documents etc.

What will happen if I go ahead and create the disks and then need to use them in the future sometime?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    The typical recovery discs made using the computer manufacturer's software wiil restore the computer hard drive to fresh from the factory conditions. Any software you installed and files you saved after purchasing the computer will not be recovered. There is third party software available that can create a snapshot of the current hard drive contents and burn it to CDs or DVDs. You can then use those disc to restore all contents as they were they day you made the discs.

If you do not make the backup discs, you will have problems getting the computer running if you ever have the need to replace the hard drive or a virus trashes the hard drive contents. At that point, you would either need to purchase recovery discs from the manufacturer, if still available, or purchase and install a full version of Windows and then hunt down the hardware drivers.

3. sistafatti

sistafatti Thread Starter

Thanks for the valuable assistance Chuck and for replying to my post.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!