1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Creative CD-ROM won't read disks

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BlackHorseman, Jan 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BlackHorseman

BlackHorseman Thread Starter

Hi,

Ach...

I got a second-hand Creative CD-ROM from a friend (Model: Infra 60, CD4020E). He told me it worked fine. I installed it, then booted. Win2K said not a word. Went into Device Manager and there it was - my old CD-ROM (the one I had removed prior to installing this one) was gone and the new Creative CD-ROM was already installed. But it refuses to read disks. The @#%#[email protected]%#$...

I am at a loss here. What should I do, what should I check? I left the jumper setting in 'Slave' mode, BTW.

Thanks,
    Daniel.

2. n2gun

n2gun

try a lens cleaner. May have a dirty lens.

3. BlackHorseman

I don't think that's the case. Might do it anyway, but I will bet the CD-ROM it's not dust.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

With friends like that, who need enemies? :D

5. BlackHorseman

I will clarify:

I have an ancient Acer CD-ROM. Has served me well (4 years), still works, well, not fine, but still is working. Has problems reading media burned using new equipment. I thought of buying a DVD-ROM (you know, better buy something that reads both DVDs & regular CD-ROMS, if I'm already spending money). Told my friend. He tells me his friend has a used CD-ROM that works well that he could give me (for free, mind). He told me it worked just fine. Now, I have no reason to doubt his words, especially that he gave it to me for free.

I put it in, and it seems dead. I mean, I stick in a disk, the lamp flashes for a couple of secs, then goes off, and in the Windows Explorer it shows that there is no disk in the drive. It feels like, well, one of two: either the CD-ROM is sooooo dead, or I'm missing something. The reason I posted here is that I thought you guys would surely know what it is I'm missing (DL driver from firm site & install it, or something, check this, fiddle with that), so that I don't just go and throw away a good CD-ROM due to my own ignorance.

:)

And it's: "With friends like that, who needs any enemas?".
    Daniel.

6. n2gun

n2gun

If it is showing in device manager without a problem and lens cleaner does not help the drive is probably bad. There usually is no need for a special driver as a standard driver from windows almost always works.

I have a dvd drive and like it and have no problems with the new disksso as you mentioned that may be an option. If you have a fast computer there is no problen watching movies on it either. Some of the older, slower computers you will get a stuttering (hesitation) when watching movies though. The price has really come down on them now also.

7. BlackHorseman

Ok, I understand.

Thanks,
    Daniel.

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Try reading a disk in dos mode......

9. BlackHorseman

No no no.... tried it restarting in Safe Mode with Command Prompt, and had the same result. Then I jumpered it as Master, and now it works just fine!

A lesson learned.

Thanks people,
    Daniel.

10. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Must have been on the secondary ide cable.......

That'll do it every time ;)

11. BlackHorseman

I guess. Gotta learn more about that stuff.:D

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112438

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice