1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: cross fire

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chippynut, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chippynut

chippynut Thread Starter

What is cross fire? Also as anyone any info on a motherboard, asrock skt-am2 alive fire e-sata r3.o sl 2000 mts. Graphics cards, ati saphire 4650. The above is pc info with a amd quad proccessor and eight gig of ram, There are two graphics cards fitted, Thanks for any help.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  3. chippynut

chippynut Thread Starter

Thanks Triple6, I clicked on your link and checked out the info on that, Is this reliable or is it just another thing that goes wrong? I am just checking out a pc that as a coolermaster case and 700 watt psu etc.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It works, it doesn't always result in significantly better performance, and never doubles the performance of a single card.

For that matter its a little silly to Crossfire two Radeon HD 4650, they are mid range cards, and for the price of those two you can get a single card that will outperform them 100% of the time.

The PC isn't all that great, its OK. Asrock boards aren't top quality, nor are CoolerMaster cases and PSU's(some are, some aren't). The 4650's are older tech. Not sure what the cost is or if its worth it based on price

5. chippynut

chippynut Thread Starter

Thanks, that is the sort of info i needed as i do not know one graphics card from another, When looking through the info on PC's we can get carried away by sales talk no matter what the make etc, this particular one is up for nearly £600 pounds here in england, I have been looking for some time for a replacement and just need a bit of performance and of course reliability but a lot of them are built to a price, I have toyed with the idea of putting one together but the initial [switch on] putts me off i have done a lot of re'installations and upgrades but i am worried about failure.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!