1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Crossing Referencing in Word 2007

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by tfitzhardinge, Apr 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tfitzhardinge

tfitzhardinge Thread Starter

Hi

I'm having problems with cross referencing headings in word 2007. I have created a word document with headings (with heading numbers) of various levels. When I create a cross-reference to a particular heading, under insert tab, Links, Cross Reference. I then select:

- Reference Type: "Heading"
    - Insert as hyperlink
    - Insert reference to: "Heading text"
    - For which heading: I select the relevant heading

The cross reference is created. I repeated this process and inserted the heading number in front of the crossed-referenced heading text

When I add headings preceeding this cross-referenced heading, the heading number field can update itself (after either hitting F9 or right click update field). However if I modify the text in the cross-referenced heading and update the heading text field, the field will not show the modification to the cross-referenced heading. Refer to example below

For example say I have the following headings:

1 Introduction
    2 Water Quality Treatment
    2.1 Wastewater
    2.2 Stormwater
    3 Roads
    4 Retaining Walls

1, 2, 3, 4 denotes level 1 headings
    2.1, 2.2 denotes level 2 headings

I then create a cross reference in the 2.2 stormwater paragraph to the heading 2.1 Wastewater. The cross reference is create by the described methodology above. I then make the following changes to the headings (as shown in red)

1 Introduction
    2 Water Quality Treatment
    2.1 Water contaminants
    2.2 Wastewater Treatment Design
    2.3 Stormwater
    3 Roads
    4 Retaining Walls

When I go to update the cross reference, the text displayed is "2.2 Wastewater". Also if I change the text "Wastewater" to "Sewage" only the text "2.2" is shown.

I have a table of contents and seems to reflect all the changes however the cross-reference cannot show the modified heading text.

The aim is to create an automated document that can span several chaters and hundreds of pages with numerous cross-references (heading text and number with hyperlink) to headings. To have to set up a new cross reference everytime I change the heading text is very cumbersome and I'm bound to miss a cross reference as well.

Attempted to explore fields but need expert help.

If anyone has any ideas that would be much appreciated

Tim

2. tfitzhardinge

tfitzhardinge Thread Starter

All

Further to my post I have learnt how to modify headings using the same methodology. That is insert tab, cross reference ...

Correct me if I'm wrong, with this proceedure a left and right bound is created to the target heading. If I my previous example to illustrate the point. Let's use the square brackets to denote this left and right bound as shown below

[Wastewater]

If I add the text at the end say "Treatment Design" to the heading

[Wastewater] Treatment Design

when the field is updated the ref field will not recognise the added text at the end because it is outside the bound.

If I add text at the beginning of the heading however this text is placed inside the bounds and the heading change will be incorporated in the ref field when it gets updated.

Essentially as long as the furthest right most character in the target heading does not get modified all changes in the target heading will be incorporated For example changing "Wastewater" to "Sewage"

Step 1) [Wastewater]

Step 2) [Sewager] - type in Sewage but leave the r in wastewater

update ref field

Step 3) [Sewage] - delete the r

update ref field

This will stop the error message of "Error! Reference source not found."

This is some what cumbersome to remember when editing cross-referenced headings. Word experts feel free to comment

Tim

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918911

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice