1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Ctrl F not working in Excel 2000

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by PincivMa, Jul 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PincivMa

PincivMa Thread Starter

Hi There

I need some explanation as to why this is happening. I copied a few rows of data from one workbook to another workbook. I then did a Ctrl F and typed in the content of the cell that I want to find in the "Find What" box. It worked OK if I did not check the "Find entire cell only" box but it could not find the contents of the cell if I checked the "Find entire cell only" box. This has me stumped. I checked the alignment, font etc and everything matched perfectly from both workbooks. I then typed in 00 132 in cell A9 did a Ctrl F and typed in 00 132 in the "Find what" box and it found the 00 132 in Cell A9 but failed to find the other 00 132 in Cell A2. Why is this happening?? I have attached both workbooks. Both workbooks are in Excel 2000.

Mario

Attached Files:

2. GeorgeJ

GeorgeJ

In the Ctrl F workbook, cell A2 and A9 are not the same.

put in the formula =len(A2)
    now try =lan(A9)

There is a space at the end of the number in cell A2 so it is not finding it as an exact match.

3. PincivMa

PincivMa Thread Starter

Ok, so now I know what the problem is. I have over 50,000 rows that have an extra space a the end. How do I get rid of the extra space using a macro or formula.

Mario

4. GeorgeJ

GeorgeJ

You could use clean or trim. I would probably put a formula into a blank column =trim(A1)
    copy the formula down (little black box at bottom right of selected cell)
    copy the column, select A1 goto edit - pastespecial - values

5. PincivMa

PincivMa Thread Starter

Thanks, George the Trim formula worked perfectly.

Mario

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1061863