1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: .cur and .ani icons not showing in Explorer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by BobJam, Nov 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BobJam

BobJam Thread Starter

I used to be able to see the little icons for the .cur and .ani files when I looked at the Cursor folder in C:\Windows. The files themselves are still there and I can use them in the Mouse Pointers setting in Control Panel, but now the icons are all the same IN THE EXPLORER DISPLAY: a bland pointer with a star at the end of it on a piece of paper background.

At first, I thought maybe it was a setting in Folder Options in Control Panel, but I realized it's not a matter of file associations. I don't need to open them except in the Mouse Pointers setting, which as I said works.

Then I thought maybe it was some setting in Appearance in Desktop Properties, but that wasn't it either.

I have TweakUI, but I don't know if that "Rebuild Icons" repair is what I want. I don't need to rebuild any of my Desktop icons, and I think that's what it's for.

So I'm out of ideas.

This isn't that much of a big deal, but I would like to view all the little icons for .cur and .ani in explorer INSTEAD OF LOOKING AT THEM ONE BY ONE IN THE MOUSE POINTERS SETTINGS WINDOW.

Any other folder DOES display little icons, but these are always dependent on file associations. For example, a .doc file displays the little MS Word icon. Cur and Ani files seem to be the only ones that DON'T depend on a file association for anything other than the "standard lack of an association" icon to appear.

Oh . . . one more thing. I tried the Thumbnail view and still got the same "standard" icon for all of them.

2. aarhus2004

aarhus2004 Gone but always remembered

Hello BJ,

The only way I could look at this problem was to recreate a similar circumstance in my system.

I did it this way.

1. In Folder Option>File Types I deleted the CUR Cursor File type entry.

2. This resulted in a situation whereby in Windows Explorer all the Cursor types were visible by name only but the image of the cursor itself was a uniform 'nothing icon'. See attached gifs 0 and 1

3. I examined the registry and searched for (Find) 'cursor'.

4. This Key seems relevant HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\curfile\defaulticon
    but not sure how to proceed from there I did a scanreg /restore - to before I deleted the File Type in Step 1 above.

That did the trick.

I rechecked the registry key as in Step 4 and the Right-hand Pane under 'Data' was this:
    "%1" (very different from what I had found after deleting the File Type). See gif 2.

My suggestion to you, BJ, is to examine the registry key. Backup the registry and under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\curfile\defaulticon replace with whatever shows as the default with "%1" This by right clicking on Default, click Modify, and make the change in the Value data to %1 See gif 3

Reboot.

Cheers.

Ben.

PS If these attachments appear in full size - this is unwanted but I have no idea how to prevent it!!:confused:

Attached Files:

• 1.gif
      1.gif
      File size:
      1.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.gif
      2.gif
      File size:
      8.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3.gif
      3.gif
      File size:
      19.9 KB
      Views:
    • 0.gif
      0.gif
      File size:
      5.7 KB
      Views:
  3. BobJam

BobJam Thread Starter

Regedit.png Hey Ben,

Good idea but the XP registry is a little different than the ME registry. Instead of "%1" for the data value, I have "%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll,100". See my attached thumbnail. I have no idea what my registry value for that key would be, but I think you are on the right track.

Now if someone who has XP will do the same as you did, I might be able get the right value.

4. BobJam

BobJam Thread Starter

Geeezzz . . . I just can't seem to get this thumbnail or attachment stuff stuff to work. So I guess I'll try an image in the body of the text here:

[​IMG]

5. devil_himself

devil_himself

Registry Export From My System[Using Xp]

File association information for [.CUR] file type

Code:
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.CUR]
    @="curfile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.CUR\PersistentHandler]
    @="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\curfile]
    @="Cursor"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\curfile\DefaultIcon]
    @="%1"
    File association information for [.ANI] file type

Code:
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ANI]
    @="anifile"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\anifile]
    @="Animated Cursor"
    "FriendlyTypeName"=hex(2):40,00,25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52,\
      00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,\
      32,00,5c,00,6d,00,61,00,69,00,6e,00,2e,00,63,00,70,00,6c,00,2c,00,2d,00,32,\

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\anifile\DefaultIcon]
    @="%1"

6. aarhus2004

Hello BJ,

devil_himself seems to have given you those registry entries which work for him. I mean his Windows Explorer is showing the correct icon for each cursor.

Nowhere in his entries can be found your "%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll,100".

In your Folder Options>File Types how many entries do you find for CUR? I am wondering here if there maybe a second CUR with that "bland pointer with a star". If so why not delete it and force thereby the CUR to use the default ones.

If there is not not a second entry for CUR, well you could delete the one and only (MS will warn you I have done this so its ok to click Yes) the click New and enter CUR and in the drop-down list choose Cursor. A reboot may be beneficial here - but I don't for sure :D. It cannot hurt. And check Windows Explorer.If all is now OK it might be informative to have a look at those registry entries devil_himself gave.

But if all is not well making registry changes may be the way to go.

Cheers.

Ben.

PS My Cursor icons are shown in the attached gif.

Attached Files:

• 4.gif
      4.gif
      File size:
      8 KB
      Views:
  7. BobJam

BobJam Thread Starter

Hey Ben and devil_himself,

IT WORKED!!!! I should have realized that my "%SystemRoot%\system32\SHELL32.dll,100" value entry pointed to the default "bland pointer with a star" icon in Shell32.dll. But I still wouldn't have known that "%1" is the right value entry to show the .cur and .ani icons in explorer view.

I'm reluctant to mess with the registry, so first I tried the .ani value entry, thinking that perhaps if it screwed things up it would only screw up animated cursor icons. That worked, so then I did the same for the .cur value entry. That worked too, and I didn't even have to reboot.

And, apparently ME and the XP Registries are the same in this area.

So, Ben, you were spot on. And thanks devil_himself for the XP Registry entries for these keys, which confirmed that "%1" value that Ben had for ME.

Bottom line, as I said, IT WORKED. So, thanks to both of you.

I'll mark this thread as "Solved".

8. aarhus2004

Well done, BJ. Happy we helped too.

Ben.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/657155

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice