1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Current Nvidia Drivers causing video not to load at startup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Thomascoker420, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Thomascoker420

Thomascoker420 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2045 Mb
    Graphics Card: Standard VGA Graphics Adapter, 3 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 305242 MB, Free - 19042 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P5N-D
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Disabled

Hi, I like to believe I'm kinda tech savvy. I'll start by saying that my old 19" monitor went out and now I have a 32" dell monitor I'm using. Every time I update my video drivers to most current and then restart comp for them to take full effect, it will go through the green microsoft loading bar and then screen goes to self test, Yet there is still a windows sound and I can even log in, but no video for these parts. I can go into safe mode perfectly fine. I can even uninstall my video drivers and I'm capable of starting normal mode fine. Only when I update drivers do I have this problem. I have done alot of troubleshooting to try to get this monitor to work with my computer, searched on several different search engines for a solution to this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm seeing several error messages in the event log and I'm unsure which one is the actual crashing of the comp, so I'll be back to post that info. Thanks for your time and help!

2. pip22

pip22

Updating the video driver (indeed any driver) is not compulsory just because an update is available. A driver should only be updated if it corrects a specific problem you're having or adds features you must. Otherwise, if the existing driver works okay you should leave well alone. Is the new driver absolutely necessary to be able to use the new monitor?

3. Thomascoker420

I will try older video drivers, but not sure if it will work. I have tried one or two versions lower than the one I was currently using. My computer is now over heating too easily as well. The reason I haven't replied in a day and a half. Not sure what to do.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You need to list your exact specs; ie exact pw supply installed, exact video card, etc. Next you post that the system is overheating. Have you opened the case and given it a good cleaning with a can of air? If not, then do so. While the case is open, pw ON and make sure all fans are in fact working.

5. Thomascoker420

Yes, I have cleaned the computer with air duster. I have had this computer for 6 years and have had no compatibility issues between the video card and the power supply. These issues only started happening when my older computer monitor went out and I plugged in a HDMI Monitor. My pw supply is an ATX/12V my video card is NVIDIA Geforce 9600 GT. All fans are working fine, even the fan built into the side of the case.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

This tells me nothing. Post the exact pw supply you have installed ie open the case and look at the label on the pw supply and post the mfg and wattage.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW just because it worked for years does NOT mean it works now. Most pw supplies have a useful life of 5yrs or so. They do not last forever.

8. Thomascoker420

Ok, it is a Cooler Master 600W ATX/12V. Here is a site with the type of supply it is if I still didn't give enough info... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171013. The only reason i didn't think it was the pw supply is because I am currently using it to reply to you. But it very well could be going out.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, at least now we know what we are working on. You posted your system is overheating; enter the bios and check your temps and voltages. Post those here; specifically the cpu temp, system temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values.

I assume you have opened the case and checked the mounting of the hsf ie no loose or broken push-pins, hsf is tight against the cpu.

10. Thomascoker420

So the HSF is tight against the CPU, my CPU temp is 55 degrees C, MB temp is 46 degrees C, Vcore Volt 1.18, 3.3V - 3.24V, 5V - 5.05V, 12V - 11.77V. Would a power supply issue cause a video/monitor issue? I'm not sure. Thanks for your time and patience in this matter.

11. Thomascoker420

I also noticed that my monitor doesn't always show up in the device manager, but when it does it is either under 'non-generic PnP monitor' or 'Generic PnP monitor'. I also noticed that there are no drivers available for this monitor type on the dell website. http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/Home/NoDriversFound. Would that be a possible cause? FYI, I have to go to school soon so I may not be able to respond until tonight or tomorrow. Again thank you for your assistance in this matter.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

55C in the bios is too hot. The system is not under any load in the bios and temps will increase when you actually have it do some work. The specs do show a max temp for that cpu of 72C so it is still within limits however it is really running hot if that temp was just in the bios.

Next your 12V rail is somewhat low; not all that bad however if it drops further under a load, that would indicate a failing pw supply. Start the system in safe mode or normal mode if it will let you. Run something that will stress the system ie prime95 or occt [both free downloads]

Monitor voltages with hwmonitor and see if it drops further.

You do not need to install a driver for a monitor. All that usually does is show the correct name for the monitor.

13. Thomascoker420

Well, I ran OCCT and monitored the 12V voltage and it did not budge. My temperatures seem more normal as well, all of them below 50C. I am kinda at a loss. No clue where to go from here. Guess I'll check back in a bit and hope for some answers.

14. Thomascoker420

It was exactly as I thought it was. I just had a resolution issue and couldn't access the Nvidia control panel on the big monitor in order to change resolution. So got a friend with a monitor that helped me out. Thanks for all the help. And now we know THAT cause of a blackscreen.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Glad you were able to get it working.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!