1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Customizing the path in Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Alex Ethridge, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

I have two folders on my C drive that I would like to have in my path statement. I have added them in Autoexec.bat, same as I have always done in 2000 and XP; but, Windows is ignoring the path statement in Autoexec.bat.

I even went into Computer> Properties> Advanced Settings and changed the path statement in Environment Variables; but, that did no good either.

How do I add folders to the path statement in Vista?

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

By default XP never used the Autoexec.bat file so I don't know how you got it to work that way. You needed to make a registry edit to get it to parse the Autoexec.bat file which is pointless when you can just change the environmental variables in the system properties. It should work just by adding to the enviromental variables.

Open up a cmd prompt and type path to see if the settings took.
    Copy and paste what you have in the path statement here so we can take a look at it.

Did you reboot after the change?

3. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    I,m not sure about the autoexec.bat not being read in XP. I thought it was. But we are dealing with Vista here and Vista most certainly does not read the Autoexec or config.sys files.
    As Squashman states, what you did should have worked.
    Fwiw. The statement should have looked something like:
    TMP %USERPROFILE%\YourPath\etc
    Later. Found this little tutorial. Nothing that hasn't already been said but very clear:
    http://lifehacker.com/software/wind...iables-for-quick-folder-navigation-259018.php

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge Thread Starter

Well, I don't know why it worked; but, I never edited the registry and all I did was put Path C:\BAT;C:\EXE into Autoexec.bat and all my old batch files ran fine from any DOS window.
    This is exactly what was in environment variables and this is also exactly as it displays in a DOS window:

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intuit\QBPOSSDKRuntime; C:\BAT;C:\EXE

I found the problem. Notice the space between "\QBPOSSDKRuntime;" and "C:\BAT;C:\EXE". Evidently, the space didn't keep it from displaying in a DOS window when the path statement was displayed; but, it obviously prevented the execution of the BAT and EXE folders. Anyway, I removed the space and all is well.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754867

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice