1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cyclic redundancy check

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Peter Miles, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Peter Miles

Peter Miles Thread Starter

My computer runs on Windows XP. I am OK as a user but not great as a fundi of fixing wrong things with the computer!

I copied some information from a website into a Word document, and then saved the document into a folder on my computers hard drive. The file is only 109 Kb.

The first time I knew I had a problem was when I was backing up my C Drive to an external hard drive and the copying was aborted due to this file.

I can't open this document - error message "this file cannot be found"
    I can't delete this document, or move it to another folder - error message "Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Please help! I can't afford not to back up folders and then lose all my information, gained over years of hard work, if my system crashes, or my computer is stolen etc etc.

2. kniht

kniht

Try defragging your hard drive and then run chkdsk.

3. Peter Miles

Thanks for the reply, Kniht. As mentioned, I am not an expert! Will defrag hard drive, but where will I find chkdsk?

4. kniht

kniht

To run chkdsk:

1. Click Start, select Run

2. In the box, type cmd

3. Click Ok

4. In command prompt type chkdsk c: /f /r

5. Press 'Enter'.

6. You will be presented with 'would you like to run chkdsk at next boot' type y and press enter.

7. Reboot and chkdsk will run.

5. Peter Miles

Problem solved! You are a genius!!!!

Many. many thanks, Kniht

6. kniht

kniht

Thanks, Peter Miles, for the compliment, but no genius, I just get lucky now and then.

Glad you got er' fixed! (y)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/981483

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice