1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: D Drive has less than 15% free disk space

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by JesMe, Dec 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JesMe

JesMe Thread Starter

System Diagnostics Report

Diagnostic Results

Warnings

Informational

Symptom: D: has less than 15% free disk space
    Cause: A logical disk has a low amount of free disk space.
    Details: D: has 601 MB free disk space. There is 8% free. Low disk space may cause poor performance and low virtual memory errors
    Resolution: 1. Verify disk space is low by viewing the drive using "Computer" from the Start menu.
    2. Back up non-critical files and then remove them from the drive.
    3. Perform a disk cleanup.
    Related: Free up disk space

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Severity: Information
    Warning: The average disk queue length is 1.020. The disk may be at its maximum transfer capacity due to throughput and disk seeks
    Related: Disk Diagnosis

Basic System Checks

Tests Result Description
    OS Checks Passed Checks for attributes of the operating system
    Test Groups Tests Failed Description
    OS Version Check 1 0 Passed

Disk Checks Failed Checks for disk status
    Test Groups Tests Failed Description
    SMART Predict Failure Check 1 0 Passed
    Logical Disk Dirty Bit Check 1 0 Passed
    Free Disk Space Available C: 1 0 Drive C: has 77% free disk space [175691 MB]
    Free Disk Space Available D: 1 1 Drive D: has 8% free disk space [601 MB]

I have windows vista home premium. I have tried the disk cleanup and that didn't do anything. I cleared all the restore points except the last one and that gained me about 300MB for a day and now it's back to where it was. Does anybody know how to resolve this issue?

2. Megabite

Megabite

Is D on a second Hard drive or a partition on the main Hard drive with the operating system on it?

3. JesMe

JesMe Thread Starter

It's a partition on the main

4. Megabite

Megabite

You can dump some files onto DVD/CD to help make some space.....

5. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    What's on this D drive of yours then? At 7 gigs I be wouldn't be surprised if it were your recovery drive, in which case you shouldn't be putting anything extra on there at all.

Make sure that Backup & Restore Center isn't making your Hard drive backups to D. Also make sure that there isn't a pagefile on that partition (System>Advanced System Settings>Performance>Settings>Advanced>Virtual Memory)

The other thing you could consider even as a diagnostic technique is setting a quota on the drive to see and stop whoever or whatever is trying to exceed their quota.

6. JesMe

JesMe Thread Starter

D drive is locked so I can't get into it. I've tried the back up to dvd and it filled one dvd and part of another and than gave me an error message and said was not completed. I don't remember the exact error message but it didn't seem to help the problem. I really apreciate your help.

7. JesMe

JesMe Thread Starter

It is the recovery drive. Beyond that I don't know much about it. I'm not that smart when it comes to this. lol.

8. JesMe

JesMe Thread Starter

It says there is no pagefile on D

9. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    I forgot to mention, if your computer has the capacity to create a system recovery disk on a DVD, do so. That way even if this partition gets damaged you can still regain your computer.

10. JesMe

JesMe Thread Starter

Is that the back up that I was trying to do? When we got this computer it kept prompting me to make the dvds but I didn't have any. So now that I finally got some I was going to do it and went to the back up program. Here is the error message it gave me. The requested resource is in use (0x800700AA)

11. itsjusme

itsjusme

Did you get an actual warning message that said your disk space was low, or did you discover the warning after you ran the diagnostics? With D: being the recovery partition nothing should be being added to it unless you are putting files there somehow. if it stays locked you should be ok. You have 17+ gigs free on the c drive, that should be ok if you keep it cleaned up and delete all but the recent restore points.

Are you having any problems except making the recovery disks and this warning from the diagnostics program? If you still cant get it to make the recovery disks, i suggest at least copying the files you want to save to cd/dvd and use an imaging program like Clonezilla or Acronis and image your C; partition to restore with in case of emergency. Looks like that drive is marginally big enough for vista to start with.

12. JesMe

JesMe Thread Starter

It popped up in the tool tray and then I ran the diagnostics. I've never put anything on D but evidently some program is since theres more on it now than there was when we got it. We're having problems with programs freezing and being slow. Probably virtual memory problems. I believe I've found a solution on a microsoft website but haven't tried it yet since it says make recovery disks first and haven't been able to do that. Have figured out how to make recovery disks but it will go to 100% on first disk and just sit there. when I remove first disk it will say an error occured please start over. I killed three disks thinking it would work next time.

13. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    It isn't Virtual Memory problems, or shouldn't be, as you've already said that you don't have a page file on that partition. With system slowdown & Drive flooding, it could always be a viral issue, although I never like to put every computer fluke or idiosyncrasy down to a virus. As I've said I think it far more likely that Backup & Restore is trying to stick something there which won't fit and causing your problem. Please confirm that it is not set to automatically backup to that partition.

As to creating the recovery disk, have you considered trying to use a 9GB DVD? Even if that works I'd be worried that the disk might fail to recover the machine if there were a problem, since it probably ought fit on one normal DVD and the extra files being copied could cause problems. However it's a better try than doing nothing.

14. itsjusme

itsjusme

If you have one large enough, does it give you the option to use a flash drive for the recovery disk? You can also use a flash drive to image the partition if you decide too.

15. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You may want to read through this:
    Error: Low Disk Space. You are running out of disk space on Recovery (D:)

Easy way to find files you've added is to switch to Details view (press ALT, click View | Details) and sort by Date Created (you'll have to add that column, press ALT, click View | Choose Details...). Files you've added will be dated after you received the PC

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/887820

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice