1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: D-link DWA-130 Mind boggling......

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by lastrachris, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lastrachris

lastrachris Thread Starter

So I have had this D-link receiver around for awhile. I came to me that it was much stronger than the G receiver I am using. I have linux mint 8 and when I plug it in, it recognises it but it never actually is capable of connecting to the internet. My network shows up in the list and everything. I have an N router and Modem. So I am thinking that I need the ndiswrapper file for this? Possibly? Maybe? I have been searching Google and ironically I can't find the file. I really would enjoy someone's help. Thanks.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What do you mean by "the ndiswrapper file"? The thing to try is to use the ndiswrapper application to install the XP driver. There may even be a more user friendly front end for ndiswrapper for Linux Mint. The driver is on D-Link's web site. To extract the .inf file you need you will have to run the setup program on an XP machine.

3. lastrachris

That cleared up a few questions. So if I have XP on Virtual Box could I put the .inf on a jump drive?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think that you will be able to run the setup to get at the .inf file. If so, you surely can then copy it to a jump drive. If I remember correctly from my playing with ndiswrapper they said to grab the .sys (if any) file also.

5. lastrachris

Awesome. Thanks so much. I am gonna keep this open until I have all installed. One last question, do you know where I can get the driver? Hah I know the irony.

6. lastrachris

Actually. I got the files and I installed it and everything but it said no hardware under the thing and I didn't notice any change. What do I do with ndiswrapper? Maybe I did something wrong?

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Don't know if I can be of any more help, but for anybody to help you will have to be more specific. Are you using ndiswrapper directly? Have you installed the driver?

In Ubuntu 9.10 I am using a GUI front end for ndiswrapper called "Windows Wireless Drivers." That's pretty easy to use, but doesn't guarantee success. For example, I failed to get a Netgear wg511v2 to work.

8. lastrachris

Windows Wireless Drivers... Worth a shot. Okay thanks anyways. This has been a weekend project for around a year and you have helped considerably.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917553

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice