1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: D-Link Router Issues or maybe my computer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by h2ojunkie, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. h2ojunkie

h2ojunkie Thread Starter

I apologies first, I am at work and am giving detail from memory.

I got the a new D-Link DIR-655 Extreme N Gigabit Wireless Router. I set it up two weeks ago. Everything went smooth with the exception of it not "finding" the router for a few minutes during set up. Got it all working, wireless and wired connections worked fine.

Asked my friend who has a router that can also do QoS. He entered the router remotely from his house to help me set it up so I would have priority over other connections in the house. He said he was going to change it so I have a static IP so any QoS things he sets up will be for my IP, makes sense. Router restarts after changing some settings and my computer hasn't been able to connect to the internet since. We tried setting everything back to normal as it was before. Did all sorts of command prompt IP release, renew, netsh winsock reset, some others I can't remember off hand nothing helped.

Any ideas? Any other information that I should provide?

2. h2ojunkie

h2ojunkie Thread Starter

Forgot to mention that I was able to access the router from my computer when I was not able to get online.

3. onca

onca

How did he assign the static IP address for your computer? By specifying your network cards' MAC address?

Just to make sure, he didn't disable your routers' DHCP server, right? Otherwise you would have to configure your computers' TCP/IP settings manually.

And to be honest, if all else fails, you can just reset your router to its factory settings.

4. h2ojunkie

h2ojunkie Thread Starter

Finally got time at home to try and fix it. Started with unplugging modem and router for a good ten minutes. My roommate said the wireless wasn't working either the past day.

I disabled the QoS and manually set up the internet connection which set the DNS servers and bamm I was back online :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977137

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice