1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: D-Link soho wireless network problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sorrow, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sorrow

sorrow Thread Starter

I'm having all sorts of problems with a D-Link 624S Super-G Wireless router. I've had plenty of problems with this in the past, but for a little while things were working alright. Then we switched ISP's (qwest to comcast), and things have gotten all screwed up again (n)

Currently, Comcast has provided us with a cable modem (not sure of the model number, and its in a room mates, so i can't check it right now). Initially i thought this would be a relief, because now we would not have 2 routers running... little did i know that the same problems as before would come back to plague me.

Right now the d-link is set to almost default settings, but have changed a couple of settings. Based on this information i tried turning off the UPNP setting. I have also enabled wireless, and set up WEP for the time being.

But even with stock settings, (after enabling wireless that is) i have very finicky problems with the internet. Half of websites i visit time out, even though i have a "great" signal strength. There is nothing in either my room, or the room the router is in that would interfere with the wireless signal, yet this problem does not happen for my flat mate, who is plugged directly into the router.

Also, i can ping google.com almost all of the time without any problems, even when websites are not loading, and i'm currently using DHCP IP addresses, if thats relevant. Oh, and the firmware is version 1.00, and as far as i can tell thats the most recent.

Let me know if you want any more information, and i'll definitely respond as often as needed -- and as often as my network connection allows me too!! :mad:

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Have you tried changing channels? Perhaps you have interference and are getting a lot of dropped packets.

3. sorrow

sorrow Thread Starter

Yeah, i've tried 2, 6, and 11. I also ran a ping command to google overnight last night, and it came back with 2% packet loss. I've tried this a couple of times in the past, and had similar results.

Oh, and switching between FF, IE7 and Opera doesn't seem to make any difference.. :cool:

4. sorrow

sorrow Thread Starter

Any more ideas?

At this point, i've reset the router to default settings, and don't have any security (WEP or WPA) running, and i'm still having the problem.

Ran another ping to google.com last night and had 2% packet loss... :confused:

5. sorrow

sorrow Thread Starter

Another thing i've noticed is that now only Firefox works with the internet at all; both IE7 and Opera 9 won't even load my homepage..

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Now it's starting to sound like either some malware on the system or simply corruption of your Windows installation.

7. sorrow

sorrow Thread Starter

In the long run, i found out that its a problem with my wireless card in particular :cool:

Bought a Linksys router to get around the problem ;) Not the best of solutions, but got the job done and saved me a lot of time..

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540133

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice