1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Daisy Chaining Routers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by skwaker2142, Jun 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. skwaker2142

skwaker2142 Thread Starter

Hello...
    I have a 4-port wired ethernet Linksys Router and I plan on buying a Linksys WRT54G Wired/Wireless router. My current router dosen't have an "Uplink" port and I'm not sure about the WRT54G. If neither have an "Uplink" port, can they be daisy chained from, for example, port 1 to the WAN port? If so, is there any loss of speed? I pretty good with computers but I am just tapping into networking.:)

Thanks,
    skwaker2142

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Why are you cascading routers?

3. skwaker2142

I have 2 wireless laptops I want to purchase and use with the wireless newtwork and several other computers that are setup for a wired connection. I already have the CAT5 run, I just don't have enough ports. I would spend the money on wireless cards or USB recievers, but I'm trying to stay within a budget.
    Thanks,
    skwaker2142

4. zx10guy

Then you don't want to cascade the routers using a LAN port on your primary router and the WAN port on the router you plan to add. You want to connect both routers via their LAN ports only. Doing it this way will give you the wireless capability which you don't have for your laptops. But will only give you 6 wired LAN ports for both routers combined. Just make sure 6 wired LAN ports is enough.

To set up the second router, you want to set the router's IP to an IP address different than your primary router and outside of any DHCP scope you may have set up. You also want to turn off the DHCP server on the new router.

John Will has a more detailed step by step on how to setup a wireless router to only function as an access point.

5. skwaker2142

Thank you for the assistance.
    -skwaker2142

6. zx10guy

No problem. Good luck. Let us know if you have any problems setting this up.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/720074

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice