1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Damaged DVD +R disc

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by zoff, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zoff

zoff Thread Starter

This newly burned DVD +R disc, that I've played a few times in the past, will no longer play on a compatible DVD player nor my laptop. Is there any way of salvaging the disc?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What is on the disk, video, programs, graphics, what? If it's individual files, you may be able to recover some of them with ISOBuster.

3. zoff

zoff Thread Starter

A recorded TV show.

4. emoxley

emoxley

Is it on a Memorex disc, or other Taiwan made disc?

The Taiwan made discs(except for Verbatim), are not consistant with their application of the dye, that you burn to. This is why I, and most others with burning experience, tell people to stay as far away from Taiwan made discs, as possible. It isn't the best dye to start with. So, when you apply it in an inconsistant fashion, with no regard to quality control, it's gonna be problems.

Sure, it may burn ok, and even look good the first time or two, that you look at it. But down the road (anywhere from 2 wks. to a year), when you want to watch it again, it will be unwatchable. The bad dye starts to break down. The player may not play it at all, or it may start to play, and picture will pixellate and freeze, and the sound will hang and stutter. The dollar or two extra, that good media costs, is well worth it in the long run!

You see a lot of posts on forums, about "My player don't recognize my dvd", "My dvds don't play anymore", "My dvds freeze up, and won't play", etc. If I was a betting man, I'd bet that at least 95% of the time, it's because of bad media.

Sometimes uninstalling and reinstalling the drive, through the device manager, will correct a problem. And sometimes, there's an actual problem with the hardware itself. But more times than not, it's the media. Memorex is one of the worst. People get upset, if you tell them their cheap media is no good. But it's a fact of life. Memorex does not make their own dvd media. CMC Mag is how Memorex media will code, if you check it. All CMC Mag media (Taiwan made), except for Verbatim, is considered to be media, you should stay away from.

I hope others read this post. I don't want to retype it everytime someone says "My dvd-r's don't play anymore"..................... :)
    Good luck!

BTW...................
    Does your computer drive not see the disc at all, or just won't play it? If it sees the disc, you can go to "My Computer", and right click on the drive (with the disc in it), and click on explore. Then you can drag the files to another folder or desktop. If it doesn't see the disc at all, mabe see if a friend's will.....
    Good luck!

5. zoff

zoff Thread Starter

Yes it was a Memorex +R disc.

I used Maxell +RW for most of my data. Is Maxell reliable?

I just got Verbatim as I was unable to find Taiyo discs locally. I'll be backing up all my data using Verbatim +R.

This is all a shame since average people perceive DVD as a reliable storage medium. I hope the manufacturers step up and improve their products. If they dont, then the market will take care of weeding out the undesirables. Im a bit upset that I didnt know this earlier. Hopefully Maxell is ok. But like I said, I'll be backing up on the Verbatim.

In a similar post, I was advised to update software and firmware which I already did.

6. emoxley

emoxley

As long as the Maxells are made in Japan, they'll be great. But if they were made in Taiwan, you're no better off. It says on the package, where they're made. Usually in small print, somewhere near the barcode.

Firmware upgrades are good. They will generally help the drive recognize more brands of discs. But, so what, if it recognizes a bad brand................

7. zoff

zoff Thread Starter

Where do u find Japan-made discs?

8. emoxley

emoxley

You can get them at Wal Mart, Best Buy, Circuit City, Staples, Target, etc.
    You just need to read the package label. Sometimes they'll be mixed in with the Taiwan made. You just have to look for them. If you can't find Japanese made Maxells, Sony or Fuji, just get some Verbatim. They are Taiwan made, but by another factory. They aren't CMC Mags...................

There's a program called "DVD Identifier". It's free. It tells you the code of the disc, and who the manufacturer is. It tells more stuff too. The disc needs to be in the drive. Here is the free download:
    http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/
    Check it out. I use it everytime I buy new discs......... :)

9. zoff

zoff Thread Starter

Downloaded! How do I interpret the data that the identifier? Where does it indicate the country of origin?

10. kidcnote

kidcnote Banned

Might be some here:
    http://meritline.com/

11. emoxley

emoxley

It doesn't give the country of origin. It will tell you who the manufacturer is. You learn after awhile, what factory is where.
    The main ones you want to stay away from is the CMC Mags. If a disc you buy, show up as a CMC Mag disc, take them back.

If you'll check the package when buying, for "Made In Japan", you shouldn't have a problem. No CMC Mags come from Japan.................. :)

12. zoff

zoff Thread Starter

My taiwanese Maxells are manufactured by Ritek. The Memorex and HP are made by CMC Magnetics and are therefore going to be returned. The taiwanese Verbatims are made by Mitsubishi Chemical Corp.

Are the Ritek-made discs OK?

13. emoxley

emoxley

Riteks used to be great media. But they changed manufacturers a little while back, to save money, I guess. Now their stuff is hit or miss. If you want to take the chance, they may be good. Hard to say..............I, personally, wouldn't chance it.

Those Verbatims are very good. Mitsubishi is one of the better factories. For DL discs, Verbatim is the only way to go also. Their DL's are made in Singapore. There are supposed to be Verbatims that are made in Japan too ( by Taiyo Yuden), but they're not sold in the U.S., yet. Hopefully one day............. :)

14. zoff

zoff Thread Starter

Sorry to be a pest, I ran the other Maxell's thru the identifier and I got RICOHJPN as the manufaturer ID with Ricoh Ltd as the manufaturer name. Is this Japan-made?

15. emoxley

emoxley

Yes............... the JPN on the end of RICOHJPN, stands for Japan.
    Enjoy......

You're not a pest. You're trying to learn something new. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!