[SOLVED] ~.dat

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

synlupri

I see a file on my desktop with the name ~.dat. When I try to open it I get the following error message: You are attempting to open a file of type " (.dat) " These files are used by the operating system and by various programs. Editing or modifying them could damage your system. If you still want to open the file, click Open With, otherwise click cancel.

I clicked open with, and I got this error message:

Windows cannot open this file. To open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select it from a list of programs on your computer.

What is this file...and where on earth did it come from?!?!

Is it a virus?

HELP! :eek:

Thanks - Syndi

For some unknown (to me) reason, XP is creating a copy of my address book in a file named ~ (no extension) in C:\Documents and Settings\%username%.

Why don't you try renaming ~.dat into ~.wab and open it?

synlupri

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I LOVE this forum!!!

Happy Friday - Syndi

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online