1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Data Recovery from Corrupt Hard Disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mohittomar13, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mohittomar13

mohittomar13 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mohit Tomar
    Hi all.. :)

I have a hard disk that is actually a laptop internal hard disk. Few days back i dropped my laptop from the roof and broke it. There was nothing that could be recovered from it but this hard disk. So i decided to put this hard disk in a hard disk case and use it as an external, for backup purposes. It was working fine and all my data that used to be in my laptop was still present.(y)

A couple of days back my windows (on my desktop) got corrupt so i thought to first backup all my data to this laptop hard disk and then reinstall windows. For that i used ubuntu 11.10 live cd. I copied all the data and then reinstalled windows. But when i connected this disk to my computer and clicked on the partitions of this disk, an error came up "The path you specified is not present". I guess that the disk is corrupted though my data is still there on the disk.
    Can come one please help me to recover the data.:)

Thanks in advance....

PS: Please excuse my english i'am not a native english speaker...

2. dai

dai

3. mohittomar13

First Name:
    Mohit Tomar
    My system is unable to read the disk. When I try to enter into a partition it says that the specified path is not available and i will only be able to use the disk after i format it completely.
    So if i download Windows Data Recovery (for eg. Steller) will it be able to enter into the partitions and search for the files present their??
    Well thanks for your reply... :)

4. mohittomar13

First Name:
    Mohit Tomar
    Thanks for the reply Dai... I see R-Studio is a good tool but it costs. Are there any other free options that recover data from corrupt HDD??

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Try the live CD again. I suspect that Ubuntu used a file format that Windows cannot read without extra drivers. Use ubuntu to copy the files back to your Windows drive.

6. mohittomar13

First Name:
    Mohit Tomar
    Tried that already... I thought the same that there might be some file format clashes but even ubuntu failed to mount the drives.

7. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

8. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Puppy is good and is what I use, but it won't see any more than Ubuntu since it happens to use Ubuntu binaries.

9. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  10. mohittomar13

First Name:
    Mohit Tomar
    When it was in my laptop it run Windows 7 Ultimate. So i guess the file system should be NTFS. And i did not format it ever.

11. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

What I meant in my reply to the op was that his copy of Ubuntu may have been compromised in some way, and that he should try another Linux live cd, and Puppy would be what I would suggest.

12. mohittomar13

First Name:
    Mohit Tomar
    Alright guys... thanks for all your input's and efforts in helping me out... I've gained some valuable information from this topic and i believe that i'l be able to recover my data now...
    So I'm marking this thread as solved..

Once again... Thanks everyone.. :)

13. dai

dai

ok glad you have it sorted

14. Andox

Andox

Since your hard disk cannot be recognize by system, the data recovery software cannot help you. I think it is better to keep disk safe and take it to a data recovery service place?

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085613

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice